pork shoulder

eddie

Got a ~ 6 pound pork shoulder (bone in) on for about 3 hrs so far at 180 on a Memphis Pro, now is when I need to either foil or not? New to the forum. How to proceed in anyones opinion? Not my first but I thought advice is always good! I've learned a lot of things the hard way!!! Thanks...Ed

muebe

Foiling is to speed up the cook. You will lose some bark by doing this. When you say 180 do you mean the internal temp of the butt? Or the setpoint of the Memphis?

At 3 hours with a setpoint of 180F I imagine the IT of the butt will be around 130F maybe and not ready for foiling IMHO.

If you plan on foiling you should do it at a IT of 150F to help it through the stall. This will shorten the time it takes for the butt to finish but will reduce the bark.

Bump the setpoint up to 230F and pull it at a IT of 190F

eddie

Excellent, thanks for the reply. Your dead on. I,m now @ 135 degrees with the meat probe 4 hours now @ 180 oven setpoint. Maybe time to turn it up?..... I'm in no hurry, been spraying occasionionally with apple juice. 4 more hours is all I can probabbly take! Getting hungry....Ed

Top Bottom