Prototype 2 Star Quick Change Flame Zone / Drip Pan

bub

Thanks to all the testers for such good feedback, we will be tweaking a few things and getting ready for production so others can enjoy.

Greetings all - this is my first post (just been reading for a month or so) ...I have a question for MD. I'm considering ordering a Mak 2star but am wondering if this new feature of the full flame zone/drip pan will be stock on 2 stars in the future? Or will this be an additional option only?

Thanks so much and by the way, I've been smoking for years (sticks) and after a bunch of research on pellet smokers, the Mak seems to take the cake. Well done.

MAK DADDY

At this point they will only be an optional accessory, if they are well liked and perform better than the standard design we will probably incorporate them into the production models in the future. I can't really say when, we are still working on getting these up to our standards :) Like all the MAK accessories we will strive to make them fit any of the older grill models..

Grumpy

Ok... another question...

I will use my MAK mostly for smoking. What is the advantage of having this potential upgrade as opposed to the full smokeing grate that is already available?

I can see the advantage if you're going to do a lot of grilling, but if you're going to do smoking mostly is there an advantage?

RickB

I will use my MAK mostly for smoking. What is the advantage of having this potential upgrade as opposed to the full smokeing grate that is already available?

I can see the advantage if you're going to do a lot of grilling, but if you're going to do smoking mostly is there an advantage?

None at all...Just a good option to have if you need it for a large grill cook.

CarterQ

For just smoking the blank pan that comes with it is much easier to pull out and clean, it is also a little easier to access the fire pot for cleaning. You just remove the plate (flame zone or blank) slide the diffuser out if the way and pop the fire pot out.

In playing with the flame zone plate on lower temps I have found you can almost get a direct heat effect and good smoke flavor on whatever you are cooking as well. Still need to monkey with it more but it does make your MAK a more versatile unit.

squirtthecat

For just smoking the blank pan that comes with it is much easier to pull out and clean, it is also a little easier to access the fire pot for cleaning. You just remove the plate (flame zone or blank) slide the diffuser out if the way and pop the fire pot out.

In playing with the flame zone plate on lower temps I have found you can almost get a direct heat effect and good smoke flavor on whatever you are cooking as well. Still need to monkey with it more but it does make your MAK a more versatile unit.

Ditto! That's what I was doing a couple days ago... Direct/indirect heat and far more smoke. Just need to monitor the temps where the meat is sitting.

MAK DADDY

I will use my MAK mostly for smoking. What is the advantage of having this potential upgrade as opposed to the full smoking grate that is already available?

The main advantage I can see with the new pan style for smoking is that it captures all the grease from the grate surface. You still get heat around the edges but you don't have to worry as much about keeping the food from hanging over the opening and dripping into the pit below.

CarterQ

MAK daddy makes an excellent point, it does a great job of keeping wayward grease out of the bottom of the grill.

Carter13

At this point they will only be an optional accessory, if they are well liked and perform better than the standard design we will probably incorporate them into the production models in the future. I can't really say when, we are still working on getting these up to our standards :) Like all the MAK accessories we will strive to make them fit any of the older grill models..

I have a few questions for you MAK DADDY.
After 2 1/2 months of extra testing are you going to incorporate them into the 2 Star production models and if so when?
Also when are you going to start selling the 2 Stars with the NEW SILVER powder coating?
Are the 1 Stars going to have this also and when? I noticed that the 2 Star comes standard with the main split grate while the 1 Star doesn't. Are you planning to have the 1 Star come standard with the split grate and if so when?

MAK DADDY

I can't answer the first question just yet as we still do not have a design that works to our standards but we are close.
The 1 Stars will remain Black for now, the split grate is an option only for the 1 star.
Thanks,
Bob

Top Bottom