Pulled chicken.......any suggestions?

CMack1

Hello everyone. I got roped into cooking for a group of 50 this weekend for a family party. Going to keep it simple (and cheap) and do pulled pork and pulled chicken for sandwiches. I've got the pork pretty much down to a science. The chicken, however, is new to me. I read through some older posts, and so far this is my plan: 20 lbs boneless/skinless thighs, into a foil pan on the mak for some smoke, then add butter and seasonings, foil to cover and into the indoor boring oven to finish (need to free up the mak for the pork.) Pull, adjust seasonings, add sauce and call it a day. I will probably cook it tonight and re-heat slowly in the boring oven before serving.

Any tips/suggestions? This is the largest group I've cooked for, and I'm likely over thinking it a bit. Thanks! I'll be sure to post pictures when it's all over.

TentHunter

Actually your plan seems pretty solid to me. That's exactly how I do pulled chicken. for chicken tacos, nachos, etc.

The only difference is I start with skin-on-bone-in thighs. Then I add a little salsa & chili powder when I cover them to get the flavor I'm after. You'll season them the way you want for a BBQ flavor.

Otherwise it's the same as what you plan to do, and the chicken comes out moist and tender; perfect for pulling.

Get some pics and let us know how it turned out!

Last edited:

chaz345

That's pretty much how I do it too. Bone in skin on makes for moister and better flavor but it's a pain to get the bones and cartilidge out if you are working in quantity. I usually toss the bonless skinless thighs right on the grates with some rub, smoke em with heavy smoke for an hour or two, then put in foil pan in the oven, with some onion, apple juice and maybe a little chopped jalapeno, cover it tight and cook till it's falling apart.

Top Bottom