Pulled Chuck Roast

MossyMO

Chuck roast was seasoned with Tatonka Dust.

-----

-----

Then smoked with cherry pellets indirect in the Big Green Egg on the grate at 275º.

When the meat temp hit 140º it was panned and basted in juices we had left over from 9 Hour Burgundy Mushrooms and then turned over in the juices at 180º to keep everything moist until the roast reached 205º for pulling.

-----

Here is the chuck roast being pulled after it had rested.

-----

-----

Sautéed onions and peppers and then added the pulled chuck roast.

-----

Put the pulled chuck roast/green pepper/onion mixture on ciabatta buns, added swiss cheese and heated in the oven till the cheese melted.

-----

Here is the pulled beef sandwich, the flavor was outstanding!

Thanks for looking!

Xylosmoke

Oh man! That looks good!

You had my mouth waterin' at the first picture where you were starting to pull the roast.

Then they just kept getting better.

Anyone know how to get teeth marks out of an Ipad....

dnew

Nice cook, thanks for sharing. I did the same thing earlier in the week but used the beef in enchiladas. Worked really well.

TrickyDick

I think this is my next cook!

I don't have any tatonka dust? What is it, and where to buy? Not on amazon. Does BPS carry? Maybe I'll sub some another rub...

Looks awesome!

TD

Those look awesome. Would you mind telling us about the 9 hour burgundy mushrooms. Those sound great and seem like they would be good on this sandwich as well.

Thanks

TrickyDick

I did this, sort of, but my wife bought a rump roast! I couldn't pull it, so instead cooked it to 135 IT rested and sliced on my electric meat slicer. Still want to try!

MossyMO

Here is the 9 Hour Burgundy Mushroom recipe, a few hours before it was done I borrowed a few cups of broth from the stock pot to use towards the end of the chuck roast cook to have with the chuck roast in a disposable pan.

9 Hour Burgundy Mushrooms

- 4 pounds white button mushrooms
- 1 liter Burgundy wine
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1/2 pound butter (yes butter not the fake stuff!)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1.25 teaspoon dill
- 1.5 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 4 cloves garlic whole ( I used big cloves...so use more if you use smaller ones)

Clean mushrooms and throw them into a large stockpot. Add the wine, boiling water, butter, Worcestershire sauce, dill, black pepper, beef and chicken bouillon cubes and garlic. Stir to combine.

Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 6 hours.

Remove the lid, and then continue cooking, uncovered, for 3 hours.

TrickyDick

About how long should I expect this cook to take? FINALLY getting around to doing this today. Got my roast, veggies, and hoagie rolls, and cheese. Got all day to myself as my wife and kids are at a cousin's graduation out of state and due to work, I couldn't make flights.
Planning to make some homebrew and this wonderful looking dinner as a reward for myself.

I can't imagine this is like doing pork butt that takes 6-8 hours, maybe 4? I think I'll just get it onto the MAK and it'll be done whenever its done. Looks as if this is one of those that serving immediately after its cooked is not a critical element.

No Tatonka dust, but I think I might try Simply Marvelous Peppered Cow. Haven't tried that one before.

TD

edit- should've put the probe in from the side for easier flipping. My temps took a nose dive after the flip. Glad I started early.

edit 2- should've cooked another 30-60 minutes. While meat was at temp, and multiple Thermapen insertions at various places showed was near, above or at temp within several degrees, not all the connective tissue had rendered. Thought that carry-over during cooldown would finish it. Some parts were hard to pull. First time doing a beef chuck roast pulled. I feel compelled to snap a few pics with my iPhone. That reminds me. All the complaining I've done about photo stream not working? Well I heard that you need to have Bluetooth enabled on your iphone and macbook in order for it to work right. Fingers crossed...

Last edited:
Top Bottom