Ribs!

scooter

If they were real Kobe beef ribs they must have cost you a fortune!
They look great !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mojak

Thanks! They turned out very good....moist, tender with all of the connective tissue broken down. Yes they were real Kobe Beef Ribs. I have a buddy who owns a butcher shop in town....I get really good deals on meat usually at cost or just above it. For the two racks it cost me about $70.00 or about $7.00 a pound. The marbling was incredible on this meat!

Beef ribs are a real challenge to do well. On balance, I think it's the second most difficult cook after Brisket. Breaking down the connective tissue without drying the ribs out is a real challenge. There just isn't much room for error, just like cooking a Brisket.

Last edited:

TentHunter

Oh man... I love beef ribs (yes, even more than pork ribs) and those look bomb diggity good! I can only imagine how good Kobe beef ribs must taste.

But, I have to humbly disagree on one point:
Mojak said:
On balance, I think it's the second most difficult cook after Brisket.

I've cooked a lot of beef ribs over the last 3 decades. The membrane is, without a doubt, tougher to get off, and yes they take a bit longer. Otherwise, I honestly don't think they're any more or less difficult to cook than pork ribs.

OK, I'll go back and sit in my corner now... after I clean the drool off my keyboard from looking at your ribs! ;)

Ffvillager

Just returned fron San Antonio where I had beef ribs at County Line. My wife and I thought they were good, but prefer pork ribs.
Wanted to go to Franklin's in Austin, but time did not allow.
Have made beef ribs on my GMGDB twice and they were good both times, but given the choice, I would choose pork.

Mojak

I prefer pork ribs as well but, I do like to change things up a bit every so often.

I want to hit up Franklins in Austin badly...he's a young BBQ legend!

Last edited:

Mojak

Smokin' up 9 racks of Babybacks today for my weekend clamp out !!!...Pictures to come after I finish em' up! Beautiful racks supplied by my buddy the butcher!

Last edited:

TentHunter

Do my eyes deceive me... are those regular loin back racks cut in half length-wise, or are those true "Baby Backs" (ribs from a young pig - under 2 lbs per rack).

Either way, your buddy trimmed those up nicely leaving a lot of meat on for you!

Mojak

Under two pounds per rack.... They are the shit with me organising them incorrectly. Known the guy for 6 years ....don't think he'd go for a cheat....

Mojak

If he did, it's scorched earth...you probably know better than I, what I'm looking at Tent... I'm not the man you want to take advantage of period!!! Seriously you'd hear about it on CNN!

TentHunter

I wasn't implying that anyone was cheating or taking advantage - that's not what I meant at all.

What I was getting at was looking at the width (I can't tell how long they are from the shadow), it looks like you scored some "true" Baby Backs (which I don't often see). True Baby Backs are under 2 lbs per rack, trimmed normally. They are a real treat.

Or.. maybe he trims full loin backs in half lengthwise and leaves more meat than typical on them (maybe that's how he trims all his loin backs).

Either way it was meant as a compliment, because they look nice and meaty. In fact next time I buy a front end bone-in pork loin I may have my butcher trim the ribs off just like that.

scooter

I get really good deals on meat usually at cost or just above it. For the two racks it cost me about $70.00 or about $7.00 a pound. The marbling was incredible on this meat!

It sounds like not real Kobe beef but Kobe "style" beef, or domestic Kobe or American Wagyu are other names for it. A Wagyu (Japanese) breed of cattle raised here in the US and mix bred with Angus or other. Real Kobe beef, imported from the Kobe region of Japan, goes for up to about $200/lb for the best quality. Crazy expensive stuff. I've seen Kobe beef brisket priced at $1800.

Top Bottom