Rolling some hickory smoke for my Kentucky friends!

squirtthecat

Some good friends of ours (my BBQ partner in crime) are in NOLA as we speak for the big games. The rest are stuck at home watching it on TV. So I'm sending a little hickory luck their way...

The usual suspects.

IMGP8400.JPG

Freshened up my container of dumpster rub with some Garlic Salt Lick and some Zach's brisket rub.

IMGP8402.JPG

And off we go. Hopper is stuffed with BBQrs Delight Hickory. Shooting for a Kansas tip-off time finish. Maybe. (they went straight from freezer to Traeger)

IMGP8406.JPG

squirtthecat

How much extra time do you find it adds by cooking frozen?

Couple hours, maybe. I have them on the right side of the Traeger is it runs 30° hotter over there.

I did a test a while back with 2 frozen ones on the right side, and one thawed one on the left. They all finished at the same time.

sparky

your dump rub doesn't look as light colored as it use to be. i like the reddish color to it. do you taste the shiraha sauce on the butts after they have cooked for over 12 hours plus?

Last edited:

squirtthecat

your dump rub doesn't look as light colored as it use to be. i like the reddish color to it. do you taste the shiraha sauce on the butts after they have cooked for over 12 hours plus?

That would be the Garlic Salt Lick and the Zach's. Lots of cayenne and hot paprika.

You can tell it's there, but it isn't overpowering. I've got some ribs in the queue next for gametime snacking... :cool:

squirtthecat

Meanwhile, MAK Daddy sent me some new Pellet Boss software to test. Time to contact the mothership!

IMGP8410.JPG

IMGP8411.JPG

Fire in the hole!

IMGP8412.JPG

Bob, what is the little symbol to the right of the temp? Is that an 'auger running' indicator? I see something similar on the remote as well.

IMGP8416.JPG

Gotta start some rib prep soon... More to come.

squirtthecat

Rib time!

The flavor. (just about a T of Sriracha in each rack)

IMGP8418.JPG

Into the 1 Star.

IMGP8422.JPG

Going to layer some pellets for flavor...

Hickory.

IMGP8429.JPG

Then charcoal to finish.

IMGP8432.JPG

Under the watchful eye..

IMGP8425.JPG

I ran at 200° for an hour, then bumped to 250°. Should be ready right in time for the KY game.

Time to mix up something for appetizers...

squirtthecat

Mixed up a dip/concoction of sorts from the last of the brisket, chopped up. And then a can of black beans, a jar of salsa, some taco sauce, and healthy shakes of Cajun Power garlic sauce and green Tabasco. (and a snort of lime juice)

IMGP8433.JPG

Ribs are coming along nicely. Gave them a few spritzes of cider vinegar and let them roll.

IMGP8437.JPG

Took a peek at the butts. They will be a while..

IMGP8442.JPG

RickB

Couple hours, maybe. I have them on the right side of the Traeger is it runs 30° hotter over there.

I did a test a while back with 2 frozen ones on the right side, and one thawed one on the left. They all finished at the same time.

And you normaly cook you butts at what temp?

squirtthecat

Whoops, never finished this.

--

And, we're done..

IMGP8456.JPG

Last shot of the butts before I foiled them.

IMGP8467.JPG

The brisket/bean 'dip' turned into more of a Stew/Chili. Still, PDG.

IMGP8470.JPG

Overcooked the ribs a bit. I think the MAK runs a little hotter with the new firmware. They were still quite tasty!

IMGP8476.JPG

I ended up FTCing the butts until around 10PM and then pulling them. No pics, but they look just like every other one. :cool:

CarterQ

Damn Squirt! Do you ever cook in small quantities ? Everything looks killer, love that leftover brisket concotion.

ACW3

If we could get STC and Sparky to live closer together (like the same neighborhood) I'd move there. I could always count on one or both of them to have some wonderful on their grills. I'll bring the FT!

Art

squirtthecat

But wait, there's more!

Doing some lighter eats today.

Bacon wrapped turkey breast cutlets. The store by my office had them for 2 bucks a piece so I grabbed 4. Three with Carolina Treet and an Oakridge BBQ mashup, and one with Garlic Salt Lick for me. :cool:

IMGP8480.JPG

J'ville Chicken/Apple brats. They are really good, and light.

IMGP8482.JPG

And the last of the Brisket & Bean thing.

IMGP8483.JPG

I'll let these cruise for a while at 245° while I drag the lawnmower out. Again.

Maybe I'll take that bag of chips out there, and fill one up each time I make a pass..... :D

sparky

the color on the ribs is fantastic. really good. love the butts. then turkey, brats and beans. i really want to come over to your house. your eating real well.

squirtthecat

Lunch! Brisket/Bean/Salsa Chili Shooters. (I had about 12 or so)

IMGP8491.JPG

These will be for dinner. With some steamed carrots and potatoes.

IMGP8503.JPG

I gotta get the vacuum sealer out tonight and package all of this up.

Top Bottom