So pumped!!!

Flipthe Bird

After doing a TON of research and taking the advidse of many on this board I just took delivery of a brand spankin new MAK 2 Star General. I havent been this excited about anything since the birth of my kids.

Saturday is the 1st day I am going to attempt a Brisket and some ribs. If anyone cares, I will post some pics. Needless to say I am having a bunch of friends over and have been hyping the MAK pretty big, so now i'm nervous as hell not to screw up the cook. The ribs are 3-2-1 and pretty straight forward, but the Brisket intimidates the heck out of me!

SeenRed

Hi FTB and congrats on the new MAK! Looking forward to seeing some food pron from your cooks.

Red

Flipthe Bird

Just couldn't wait til Saturday for the big cook. So I threw a slab of St. Louis ribs on for the 1st cook just to give her a trial run. I'll post a few pics tomorrow. I am new to smoking, have done a ton of reading and watching videos. Now it's game time. They should be done 11pm est.

Quadman750

Congrats...Sooooooooooo many things to cook...Sooooooooooo many Rubs/Sauces to try & Soooooooooo many techniques to use...I've found the members on this Forum are very welcoming & chime in when anybody needs info or has a problem, you bought a great pellet smoker & came to the right place.

Flipthe Bird

So the good news is they tasted amazing. The bad news is, when I went to test them to see if they were done, they fell apart into tender abyss. Did I crutch to much parkay, apple juice or tiger sauce in the foil? Didn't really even need the extra hour after foil, but put them back on after foil for 10 minutes to ensure a good bark. Not sure what I did wrong, again tasted amazing, perfect smoke ring but not picture worthy!

scooter

In order to help you determine what you did to overcook them, and I'm assuming from your "fell apart" comment that they were indeed overcooked, you need to supply us with the parameters of your cook.

Welcome to PS.com and to the MAK family!

Flipthe Bird

Good point scooter. So here's what I did. Preheated MAK 225. Trimmed ribs of fat, left small layer, added olive oil for stick, rib tickler and brown sugar. Put meat side down for 3 hrs. Took them off, added to a sheet of tin foil, 1/5 10oz bottle of tiger sauce, squeezable honey, squeezable parkay, about 10 sprays of apple juice from a plastic mister and placed the meat face down into that pile of "stuff". I then repeated the same process on the bone side. I wrapped it super tight and placed back on MAK at 225 for 2 hours. When I unwrapped foil to remove the ribs to apply sauce, they fell apart out of the bones. I placed them back on for 10 min to see if I could salvage the tenderness, and it didn't happen. That's basically it. I tried to follow "Trigg method"

jimsbarbecue

Foil time, check the ribs after one hour and then in 30 minute intervals until you figure the best time. If the ribs seem a little overcook coming out of the foil. Let them sit on the counter for 15 minutes then sauce and let sit another 5 minutes before going on the pit if you want to set the sauce.

Once you figure "the Time" don't consider it a hard set time. Different meats and or different days can change it. you will develop the cooks touch for ribs.

We use Sweet Money on ribs with a little honey or something with the same consistency and sugar content and 3oz of Coke , Dr Pepper etc meat side up. Just so you can see there are many ways to cook them and have them good eating.

TentHunter

Two hours in foil is a long time, IMHO. That's most likely when they overcooked and fell apart. Next time cut the foil time down to 1 hour and test.

If it happens again, remember: fall-off-the-bones ribs make great sandwiches! :)

Flipthe Bird

Thanks guys for all the advice. I just put a 12 lb brisket on. Going to follow Big Pappas tips. Then give 4 racks of ribs try #2 in the morning. Got my MAK remote boss hooked up and ready to alarm at 150 for foil. I love this!!

Big Poppa

Administrator
ribs are all over I like to foil at color as I wrote earlier this week...I beg to differ with tent but 2 hours of foil is pretty standard in the comp world...2 hours on the cooker and then two hours foiled ...the other tip to dispense here is that you should cook your ribs meat side up for the time unfoiled and then meat side down in the foil

Flipthe Bird

The cook

Here are the racks of ribs I cooked...I think I nailed it

As for the brisket a 12lb cooked in 7 hours...was expecting 15-18 so it was fun keeping it alive at 3am until served at noon that day.

Not a bad attempt for the 2nd time.

Top Bottom