Spiral cut ham from Costco?

Canyonier

We purchased a half-ham from Costco. It is fully-cooked, smoked, spiral cut, and comes with a packet of a glaze.
I wonder if I should heat this ham in my pellet grill to add a bit more smoke flavor or should I heat it in the regular oven?
Any ideas?
Glenn

flypig

I have done several pre-cooked hams in my Yoder, they come out great. I try to use the same smoke pellets that the ham was originally done with. I have also changed up and used apple pellets with a hickory ham.

TentHunter

I like Quadman's idea, except supplement with some pineapple juice in the pan, and baste with that.

Then a great glaze to accompany that is just little pineapple juice mixed with brown sugar. Heat just long enough to melt the sugar. Start glazing when the ham reaches around 145°. It is delicious!

HH08.JPG

HH09.JPG

Canyonier

HI all,
OOPS, I just opened the ham packaging and read the instructions. I now have another question;
The instructions say to "cover the ham tightly with aluminum foil to help retain moisture". Well, if I do that then the ham won't get any additional smoke flavor, it'll just get heated the same as if I did it in a regular oven.
My thought is to NOT COVER WITH ALUMINUM FOIL, but instead put a pan of water in the smoker to help keep things moist. Or, and maybe I am starting to catch on to what you folks are saying, put the ham cut side down in a pan with pineapple juice and baste frequently. Am I with you guys now? Is this how you do it?
Glenn

Quadman750

Yep, I would put the ham cut side down in a pan with pineapple juice & baste frequently, just like TentHunter did in his pic above.

liltexelite

Good Morning guys. I just did a pre cooked Ham from Kroger. I used apple pellets and I would spray it with apple juice every 30 minutes. I just put it in a ALUMINUM PAN easy clean up! I have to say it was very easy and everybody loved the Ham. Happy Easter to All!

Nick

Top Bottom