Tell me about your experience with the new pellets

Big Poppa

Administrator
for those of you who have bought the charcoal pellets and the wine soaked oak...what do you think? What have you found that they work expecially well with?

squirtthecat

I got a bag of the Charcoal when it first came out... Very little visible smoke output, but you do get that 'charcoal' flavor like cooking over lump, etc. If I use it now, I mix it with hickory or something else.

It does have some serious BTUs! (and lays down a pretty smoke ring)

IMGP5066.JPG

I've used the wine soaked oak with turkey and beef now. Real nice flavor. You can tell you are burning old wine casks..

Last edited:

HogSmoker

Have bought the charcoal pellets from BP and like the flavor especially on burgers and dogs. I just placed a order for wine soaked oak pellets yesterday. The Charcoal pellets do burn faster than the hickory and the peach that I have. I mixed charcoal and hickory the other day on a cook and it worked really well..

Chili Head

The wine soaked oak pellets are great!
I've used them on beef,pork and chicken with good results. I'll be using them on jerky soon too.
In my case I had to bust up the pellets some so they wouldn't jam the auger.

Smokinman88

My wife just ordered a bunch of pellets from Big Poppa and now I'm wishing she would have added a wine soaked bag a well....I guess I'll have to place another order :) oh darn!

jimsbarbecue

Used both. The wine soaked has a nice smell to it and the charcoal smell like the weber is going next to the MAK. Would have no issues using again. But that has been my experience with any of the BBQ Delight brand. Not so much with others. I have actually throw pellets in the trash from other vendors.

RickB

I tried the winesoaked on a beef chuck roast which was a long cook. I found the taste to be a little overpowering. I think on a shorter cook, like a rib roast they will be great. On long cooks i would recommend cutting with a milder wood.

dieselr88

Tried the charcoal and liked them. My wife is not a huge fan of much smoke in food but she seems to like these. I did not notice any higher btus while using these or less ash but my Yoder has been a little temperamental. I would love to the wine soaked oak pellets.

gooberguy

When I used the wine-soaked pellets in my Treager, I had problems with the pellets locking the auger up when a pellet would get caught between the auger opening and the auger at the bottom of the hopper. The regular pellets are softer and the auger just breaks them, but the wine-soaked are a lot harder.

Top Bottom