The Time Value of Flavor, Take 1

smilinphil

Executive summary: (note: I need to figure out the photo bucket batch conversion to make these shots a bit smaller]

This is the post I started in the "Show us your ribs! Ribs gone wild! thread". It needs it’s own thread, so it is all in one place, especially because I want to emphasize a big part of my style where I take several days for a cook. I am the only person in the house that will eat it and want to strive to make it the best flavor and have it as handy and portable as possible. Tuck, I will drop a few bones at your desk for your critique. I need lots of critique on my style.

I have mentioned the V/FM or Value Per Flavor Molecule and it occurred to me that some things do get better with time. Flavor can be one. Just jump to the last paragraph anytime my verbosity sickens. This batch of ribs certainly won't.

Here is my Green Mountain Davy Crockett rig. I really like the value per flavor molecule of this at $350. Taste divided by cost is very high. The more I read about MAK features, I need to think a while because it seems to be an even higher flavor value.

For the rub, I used a favorite that I added to because it was running low. I love this rub and I just added salt, pepper, brown sugar and garlic powder.

Here is the rub....

with added ingredients:

I used two slabs or ribs from Kroger/King Soops to save some money, since of course, this is just an experiment. My opinion, Costco ribs are usually the best bet.

Rubbed it and set the smoker to 150

I let it smoke for about six hours total in a four hour shift late at night and two shift in the early morning hour. Then plastic wrap and stuck in the fridge for most of the day while working my day job.

Around dinner time, I put just one of the four half-slabs in a foil pain, drizzled some honey on it and added a third of a bottle of Coors Light. Then I covered tightly with foil and stuck in the oven at 350 for 2 hours. Is that cheating? Sealed in foil an oven seems ok. I think the MAK would solve that problem. :cool:

When the half slab came out, I tasted a little piece. Mmmmm. Still needs some tenderness that will come with time.

Then I made sure all the liquid was out of the foil pan, sealed it up with foil and stuck it in the fridge. See ya in the morning for the next step. The flavor is creeping off the chart with time.

That next step, hours later, is to take the chilled ribs and cut them into individual bones while very cold for the best trim job.

Then my process of the final heating step varies depending on how I am going to eat them. For a party, I throw them on the grill or oven and slowly drizzle sauce until they feel right. A crock pot is very good for some parties but have to be careful of an overcook where the meat falls off the bone when you pick it up. What a mess! For a quick eat, I sear them in a cast iron pan or even, slap me, a quick zap in the microwave for an instant snack. I like that. It all depends on the mood. It also depends on the texture and they may need further adjustment, one way or another. More heat will usually solve that problem.

I ate one bone around 10pm microwaved for 30 seconds. The next morning, which is now today, I baked a bone at 350F brushing with sauce every 10 minutes. Cast iron in the oven.

Final product. I will cook the rest of the half slab with this method later today for my own little happy hour. The time value of flavor is kicking in!!! Feedback from the pros?!?!

TentHunter

smilinphil said:
For a quick eat, I sear them in a cast iron pan or even, slap me, a quick zap in the microwave for an instant snack. I like that. It all depends on the mood.

A man who admits he uses the microwave to finish off his BBQ... You gotta love that! :cool:

This "Value per Flavor Molecule" is a very interesting concept, Phil. It really got me thinking about how this whole concept did, in fact, play a role in our decision to go with a the grill we chose.

Great write-up!

Cliff

smilinphil

A man who admits he uses the microwave to finish off his BBQ... You gotta love that! :cool:

This "Value per Flavor Molecule" is a very interesting concept, Phil. It really got me thinking about how this whole concept did, in fact, play a role in our decision to go with a the grill we chose.

Great write-up!

Cliff

Thanks Cliff! The write-up, however, wasn't as good as the ribs!

Top Bottom