Traeger temp swings..help

skyler_estes

Hey all, I've been smoking meat for a couple years on a weber bullet. Recently upgraded to a Traeger lil tex elite for convenience. Trying to figure this thing out. I've got temp swings happening up and down around my set temp, I know its tied to the pellet feed settings (p setting) but cannot find out how to adjust it. There is no holes etc on my front digital display like I've heard others say where you can insert a paper clip to adjust the setting etc. Also I've placed three fire bricks around the burner pot to help hold in heat. Yesterday I set the temp at 225 the up swing was topping out at 255/257 and then dropping under to 210 before rising again. What can I do to help keep this within an acceptable range like 220-235 or something. This is a brand new model 070E Lil Tex Elite/digital temp control thanks for any help!

TentHunter

Try this video and see if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvIlBioPxNM
The guy gives a good easy to understand rundown of P-Settings and how to adjust them.

If that doesn't work, then I'd try calling Traeger. It's their product, so they'll know if there was a change to the controller and if/how it can be adjusted.

Either way, I hope you get it figured out so you can start to enjoy your new grill.

Last edited:

oldsalty

I put a savannah stoker pid controller on my texas the thing runs unbelievable!!!! Definitely worth the money. Never have an issue and my Q, has been better for it. I tried talking to tech's at traeger till I was blue in the face. Never really cured those temp swings. But those are thing's of the past. Mine runs a couple deg either way product comes out fantastic very happy traeger produces a great cooker just need to go to pid to stay current. Good luck

TentHunter

I put a savannah stoker pid controller on my texas the thing runs unbelievable!!!! Definitely worth the money. Never have an issue and my Q, has been better for it. I tried talking to tech's at traeger till I was blue in the face. Never really cured those temp swings. But those are thing's of the past. Mine runs a couple deg either way product comes out fantastic very happy traeger produces a great cooker just need to go to pid to stay current. Good luck

That's some good info that may help a lot of Traeger owners. Thanks for sharing!

Boo

I wish my Traeger were that good. Used it for the first time yesterday and the 225 setting ran 200-300 as monitored by my Maverick which agreed within a couple degrees of the Traeger readout. Sounds like I may have to fiddle with the P setting, buy a Savannah Stoker, or take it back to Costco.

hockman4357

I wish my Traeger were that good. Used it for the first time yesterday and the 225 setting ran 200-300 as monitored by my Maverick which agreed within a couple degrees of the Traeger readout. Sounds like I may have to fiddle with the P setting, buy a Savannah Stoker, or take it back to Costco.

I'm assuming that you bought the Traeger Century at Costco. I would greatly appreciate any updates/feedback that you might provide. I have been seriously considering purchasing one too.

Top Bottom