Traeger...Where's the smoke??

Scallywag

I do have contacts in Buffalo.. but I'm not sure how I would explain to the border guard why I have 200lbs plus of wood pellets to delcare. If I told him they were for "smoking" they might lock my ass up!! LOL

bdklein

You should check out Ortech Controls. They make a replacement digital controller for Traeger grills that allow you to adjust the smoke. I have one on my Texas Grill, and one on my Jr Grill, and they work great.

jessinak

The right amount of smoke

yes, now that's the right amount of smoke on my Traeger BBQ300. Since i own a sewing machine store, i have a few old metal sewing tin accessory boxes laying around and i got an idea to use one. They are 7in by 3in by 2 in tall and will hold several cups of pellets. I took a knife and punched about 20 small holes in the lid and theI filled it and placed it on the heat difuser and cranked it up. Now i have plenty of smoke. Much cheaper and easier than all the other ways i have been reading about. When it cools down... i'll try to post a couple of pics.

Last edited:

SmokinMAK

Roguejim - if you are budget-minded, go by Cash n Carry and get some Bear Mountain pellets. No lack of smoke flavor or smoke ring with those. $10/bag. The only Traeger pellets I use are Oak, and that is for when I grill. If budget isn't an option and you want the best - go with the Bbqers delight 100%.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JD McGee

I can't speak to the amount of smoke from stick burners...but I can offer a comparison to WSM's. We have cooked on WSM's at home and in competition since 2007 and our MAKs produce as good or better smoke using BBQr's Delight or MAK Grills "All-Star Hazelnut Blend" pellets. Perhaps trying a different pellet may help...getting a MAK will definitely help! Good luck...

Top Bottom