Turkey boulder on the MAK

Chili Head

Wednesday I smoked a ten pound boneless turkey boulder with oak pellets and a generous dusting of desert gold. My goodness did this ever turn out good! Thanks squirt for the heads up on where to get them this size.

46e1a561-b531-4ca8.jpg

46e1a561-b55e-ebc0.jpg

Seven hours later it was done. After having some for dinner I wrapped the rest tight in film to keep the air out and set it outside in the cold to cool before going to the fridge. After letting it set two days here's what we got. Sliced and ready for the freezer.

46e1a561-b634-56d7.jpg

46e1a561-b644-e79f.jpg

46e1a561-b652-f0b1.jpg

This is hands down the best boneless turkey I have smoked so far.

sparky

looks fantasic dude. nice job 1st turkey boulder. wish we could get those here. i love sliced smoke turkey. we need gravy now. :)

MossyMO

That looks excellent, great post!
OK, so I missed out on where... or is this an Illinois deal only? I want a turkey boulder!

CarterQ

Looks great! Gotta get a turkey boulder, I'm sick of getting robbed everytime I buy smoked turkey lunch meat. That looks so much better!

ACW3

Chili,
You did it again. I guess I need to start looking for a nice turkey boulder around here. Slicing it and packaging it up for future use is a really good idea. We buy smoked turkey all the time for sandwiches.

Art

Chili Head

This is really the way to go. With the cost of the turkey and the pellets it comes out to 4.50 per pound. Store bought is around 7 - 8 bucks per pound.

Chili Head

It was cold out so I had the MAK set on 265 to keep the pit temp around 250. I didn't use anything for glue just BP's desert gold. The IT was 165 at around 7 hours after a solid 2 hours on smoke setting first. About 9 hours total
And the turkey was partially frozen when I put it on. The next one i do will be done on the upper rack to compare cook times.

Top Bottom