turkey day

rbaggett

Ok, it's a new day. Bought a 14 pound fresh Butterball yesterday and put together a brine (will report back on this). Brining will be for 24 hours. I will be cooking it on the Mephis Pro today a little hotter than I did on the Mak, maybe around 280. Cooking for 40 today. Baby backs on the Max and Hasty Bake (non-pellet). Also, putting together a Brunswick Stew combo with North Carolina style Lima Beans and Georgia style English Peas (without squirrels because I can't get them in the good ol' USA). I will be reporting back. Turkey is for the non-pork eaters.

SisInLaw

Brining a Butterball might be overkill but the results could be interesting. Poppa, can I get your rub for Christmas this year?

dmarotta

For those of you in the Southern Calif. region, Albertsons is offering Farm Fresh Brand turkeys at a 2 for1 price. These are not injected and are raised without hormones or steroids. They have a nice selection of smaller sizes .

rbaggett

Sorry I didn't get back with the butterball results sooner. It was a fresh butterball and I brined it overnight. Spatchcocked it. I gave it a B+. Served it to a group of 40 along with 14 racks of ribs and Brunswick Stew. Some said it was best turkey they have ever had. Might have been just being nice. It was juicy and the spices and smoke were just about right. I had 4 smokers working at the same time that day. Mak, Memphis Pro, Hasty Bake and my new little Traeger which I putting on my boat. That little Traeger worked great on 2 slabs of St. Louis style ribs. It had a new optional digital control which worked very well. It kept it temp at 240 for 4+ hours. Today I'm doing a 16 lb. Zacky (brined overnight) on my new Big Easy no-oil infra red. Got it for $99 at Home Depot. I'll report back.

rbaggett

On skin, the first turkey I did nothing to skin except olive oil and Hasty Bake Greek rub. It wasn't very good. Next turkey, I used two spray bottles, one with chicken stock and artificial butter. Results were much better to very good. I doing that approached again for Thanksgiving. Turkey was spatchcocked.

rbaggett

Yes, Chris with a little Robin extra. Chris' receipe is great and easy to make, except I have to find someone to peel and dice potatoes. Research has shown that to be authentic in North Carolina its lima beans and in Georgia its English peas. So to keep peace in those Southern states, I use both, along with corn, onions, potatoes and tomatoes. It's the Swiss in me.

rbaggett

Only 2 days away. I start brining tonight. What about rubs and basting the day of? I am thinking about 1/2 cube of butter softened with poultry seasoning rubbed under the skin. Then baste with chicken stock and drippings from my Big Easy. What do you think?

Top Bottom