Wanting to do a Prime Rib for Christmas dinner?

cbuman74

This will a first for me and I'm looking for some insight. A friend said, 30 minutes a pound at 220! Any different thoughts??

FLBentRider

This will a first for me and I'm looking for some insight. A friend said, 30 minutes a pound at 220! Any different thoughts??

i would cook it ar 200-215 until an IT of 10 degrees less that your target doneness (we like it rare so my target IT is 125F. So at 115F i remove it and rest in foil-towel-cooler until 20 minutes before i want to serve.Then 8 minuted at 500F, rest a little then slice and enjoy.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I never cook below 225....I cook prime rib between 225 and 250 until done because I have discovered the beauty of the bark that the smoke makes with the seasonings....here are some pics
P1010007.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

DSCF0108.jpg

DSCF0113.jpg

P1010070.jpg

TentHunter

We go 225° pit temp, to about 10° degrees below finish temp, then rest under a foil tent for at least 45-60 minutes or until the temp levels out and starts to drop (which is what Scooter recommended last year and he's was dead-on). Then 8 - 10 minutes at around 500° (or as hot as the grill will get in cold weather) shortly before serving.

I have to admit though that we now do our Tri-Tips pretty much as Big Poppa describes and we may try that same method with our next Rib Roast to see the difference.

As for rub, it's beef and since its a thick cut, and the only seasoning is on the outside, I like to go bold using Spicy Brown Mustard for a glue and some kind of a peppery slightly salty rub.

Either way, once you do your own a Prime Rib on the grill/smoker, you'll be spoiled. You'll never want to pay for Prime Rib from a restaurant again!

Be sure to post pics of how it turned out! :)

Last edited:

roburado

I never cook below 225....I cook prime rib between 225 and 250 until done because I have discovered the beauty of the bark that the smoke makes with the seasonings.

I do what BP does, because it works great.

If I have to FTC for a while, I'll try the 8 minutes at 500 degrees shortly before serving.

RickB

Thats going to be mighty rare at 220. That is really to low a temp. I do 225 for about 40 min/lb for an internal temp of 125/130 for medium rare after a 30min rest.

Last edited:

Radfisher

One thing I've done for rib roasts you can try is taking the rub I've used and putting about a cup of it in a cheesecloth then flodong the cloth up into a bag like then tieing it off, then soaking the cloth with the rib in bowl with about 2 cups of cold water for 30 minutes or more. Then sqeezing all of the water back into the bowl as much as I can. What this gives me is a brine injection that I inject into the meat then coat the roats with olive oil and then my rub and let it refrigerate over night. Cook it at 225 degrees till IT is 135-140 for medium It turns out more moist, tender and juicy

scooter

- Season with BP Double Secret up to 4 hours ahead but don't be afraid to season right before going on. I've found if I season too far in advance it will change the texture of the meat somewhat like the texture of ham. If you want your roast to taste less like beef and more like your seasonings then go ahead and season it 12 to 24 hours in advance.

- Pull it from the fridge and let it rest on the counter for 45 mins
- Cook at 225, up to 250.
- I cook mine to IT 140 and usually get a 5F-10F push when loosely tented. It will be nicely pink but zero pooling of myoglobin. My fam doesn't like it too "bloody" so I give it to them medium to medium rare.

- Let it rest at least an hour or until the temp begins to drop. This is probably the biggest mistake most cooks make is not to let their big roasts rest long enough due to impatient guests or whatever other eternal forces proding you into slicing into it before it's rested enough to stop contracting. When roasts cook (all meats actually) they shrink (contract). They will continue to contract until the IT stops increasing. If you slice into a contracting roast the action of contracting will literally squeeze the juice (myoglobin, it's not blood) out of the roast and leave you with a colorless roast. It will still taste pretty good but it would be a shame to do everything right up to the very last step and blow it here. I'm sure you've seen the pics people have posted where their roast is in a pool of red on the cutting board. Some pics I've seen have a red moat around the edge of the cutting board. They sliced into it too early. Let it rest!!

-Some notes on how long it takes to cook. I've seen mins/lb formulas but for some reason in my backyard, and I've cooked rib roasts from 3lbs up to 15lbs, they all took between 3hrs40mins to 4hrs10mins to cook using 225-250. I can't explain it. I just smoked a 15lb boneless on Wednesday at 250 and it took 4hrs10mins. It should have taken at least 5 hours.

Cooked at 225 until IT 140* (Peaked at 149*), push stopped 50 mins later.
primecut.jpg

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I keep ;telling all my new smoking friends that prime rib is the easiest thing to cook on our smokers1 great looking hunk of beef Scooter!

lipster

That is my understanding. Around here, most stores sell them as prime rib, or boneless prime rib.
The boneless are more per pound, and are wrapped with string to hold them together. Some people think the bones add more flavor. Boneless is easier to cut, but nothing to knaw on.

Deb

I can't find a beef picture but I do the same -- I cut off the bones, season inside , tie it back together and then cook. When I go to carve it's easier because the bones aren't attached.

55cc3e7f.jpg

d5f438c8.jpg

cbuman74

Just picked up my 8lb prime rib Scooter and I sure hope it looks like yours on Sunday. I'll try to send a picture if I can figure out how to do it.

cowdog

Is there a guide for internal temps to reach for specific doneness? For a prime rib, what is the target internal temp for med rare, med, etc...?

Top Bottom