Weekend BBQ - Brisket and Beef short ribs

dseskin

We had around 40 people over for a bbq on the weekend, The menu was 2 briskets (around 28lb together) and long bone short ribs (around 60lb) for a total of 32 ribs - there were some non meat eaters and I did cedar smoked Salmon for them,

Sides were a mixture of salads, corn on the cob, potato salad, Coleslaw salad and mixed vegies.

The briskets and Ribs were trimmed and seasoned the day before.

My Luck we had lots of rain so we needed to arrange a canopy to cover all my smokers and BBQ's

I began the cook at 6am for the briskets and stated out using my Traeger smoker with a slower than normal smoking around 180 Deg for 3 hrs, Briskets were trimmed, injected with beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and butter mixture the night before and added cold to the smoker. At 9am I turned the smoker up to 225 and let them enjoy the journey - to keep them company I sat outside under cover with music and a drink.

My secret to a good cook is to keep the meat company with music and drink - Please don't let the meat feel lonely .

At noon I moved the briskets to another smoker - wrapped in butcher paper - the temp was not where I wanted and only around 145 but had the color and bark I was looking for.

Next at noon on cam the massive ribs - on average each rib come in at around 1.5 to 1.8 lbs each. The temp on the smoker was turned down to 180 and I let them do their thing for a few hrs, sprayed them every 30 minutes with some apple juice and water - kept them company as well. After 3 hrs the temp was increased to 225.

When the wife asked me to do some choirs around the house - I told her I was busy BBQ'ing

The ribs were also wrapped in butchers paper later and about 45 minutes before serving I removed the wrapping and a small layer of bbq sauce added and back to the smoker.

I have to say that I also used the cooler box method for both the ribs and brisket for almost 2 hrs before we ate - I love this method of letting the meat sit for a while - I used 2 coolers for the amount of meat.

The feedback I received from out guests was that this was the best meat they had ever eaten, most did not have the sides but just ate meat.

I have attached some pictures

Beef And Ribs by dseskin | Photobucke

Top Bottom