What flavor/brand of pellets do you use?

Meat Man

My friends and I have been talking about the difference in pellet manufactures. The different flavors we use for different types of meat, and even blending different flavors. Some think they all taste the same. I've only used two different brand of pellets and I could tell a huge difference in the flavor and quality/quanity of smoke. I have noticed that the pellets that use alder for filler do kinda taste the same. For me price really isn't that big of a deal I just want great results. I've switched to BBQR's Delight pellets and have been really impressed. Flavor, quality, quanity, my stick burning friends can't get over my pellet grill, and they can't argue with results I've been getting.
WHAT ARE YOU USING?​

ACW3

I am currently using BD pellets, mainly because I was part of a major buy and we got a good price. I love being able to get a variety of flavors, which I did. They have been really good. I love the black walnut. I did a pork butt that came out competition quality, IMHO. I have also used cookingpellets.com. I like them a lot. Both their 100% hickory and Perfect Mix are great. Hard to get here. When I run across other brands (Traeger and Nature's Way) I have bought a bag to try. I will probably stick with BD.

Art

Deb

bbqrs delight - oak, hickory, cherry mostly I have some charcoal & red wine soaked oak ones to try

TentHunter

I get BBQ'rs Delight from BPS delivered to my door for the same price as I would pay to drive 20 minutes (or more) and pickup the other brands. So when you factor in the time & cost of gasoline, for me it's a no-brainer.

My favorite flavors are:

Apple - for poultry, fish, bacon & cheese

Apple/Hickory mix - for Pork shoulders & ribs

Black Walnut - has become my favorite for beef steaks

Oak - for Pizza, steaks, general all around cooking

Hickory - for most sausages and cheddar cheese

Sugar Maple - is quickly becoming a favorite for sausage. It's pretty nice for cheese too.

sparky

bear mountain pellets here. i mix oak, cherry, apple. 20lbs each into a tub and mix them up. good stuff. i use this blend for everything. :)

Chili Head

Meat Man I've used peach on butts and chicken so far. And on one pizza :D. It's good! It's got a sweet and mild taste. Give them a shot I think you'll like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarterQ

BBQer's delight, pretty much all of them although the more I use mesquite the more I find that I don't really like it! My go to's are Hickory and Oak.

As for storage I keep pellets in my Old School MAK buckets and full bags are stored behind each bucket on a rack in the garage-

8e273936.jpg

HogSmoker

First class setup CarterQ. Guess a trip for me too WallyWorld to get some containers and a lock and chain for my MAK.

firehouse_bbq

I use BD for competitions and Traeger for everything else. Have to get the BD shipped from BPS, so that is why they are only for comps.

In regards to flavors, 99% of the time it is 50/50 hickory and apple.

Been playing with a new brand called Lumberjack, and so far so good.

SmokeAndSpice

So far I've only used BBQrs Delight-- cherry, apple, peach, pecan, hickory, and mesquite. The first four were from a sampler, and I didn't do much comparison cooking. They all worked well, though the fruit blends were fairly subtle. Lately I've been using a lot of 50/50 blend of hickory & mesquite; I really like it, especially for big chunks of meat like butt and brisket.

Top Bottom