What would be your perfect size pelletcooker?

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think I may know...Since I taught you everything you know about cooking and are a reasonably good cook...You cannot cut corners...you need a MAK 2 Star.

herbsties

Oh ok, I was just curious. I am ordering a YODER YS640 this week (for delivery in June, They are a little backed up I guess)and just wondered if there was something I was missing. I would think that the heavier steel would present more thermal mass than the lighter built units for steadier tempsin Wisconsin winters, although i understand that it won't be as good as a double wall unit. But I cannot afford the higher end MEMPHIS grills or others that have that feature. I have read and heard that if taken care of a YODER smoker can last a lifetime. And with their new updates I have read that guys are getting 600deg neighborhood for high temps and also very consistent level temps. am planning on buying a set (3garates)of grill grates for the MAK from Poppa for it as they should be a good fit and and making a " dropped " GRILLING grate for it too. Possibly having a perforated flame guard made as well, and converting half of the drip pan to a "Flame Zone" type of setup.
I am new to all of this and am very happy to have come across the bunch of guys here that have so much experience and knowledge of this ART. I can't wait to retire my Charbroil gas grill with the cookie sheet full of rock, charcoal,and pellets that i use now for smoking. Thanks for the advice I have gotten and in advance for that which I am am sure I will be seeking. Dave (herbsties)

Trooper

550 to 650. that would be just right.

OK, the specs on my MAK Two Star is 429 sq.in. of cooking space.
That does not take under consideration the fact that I probably want to keep the food above the drip pan.
I'd like just a little bit more room. I'm thinkin that the 550 number that SPARKY suggested would be just about right.

Trooper

I've seen the Memphis Island with two built ins plus a fridge, but I've never seen a price(it would prolly scare the crap out of me).

Yes, I've seen the double Memphis Island/frig as well (at the K.C.Royal) SWEEEET.
Yes, the price would scare the crap out of you.

Big Poppa

Administrator
keep in mind with the MAK and the full shelf it is 858 inches with the half shelf 634 inches of usable smoking area

The only issue I hear about the yoder is paint when you crank it up.

herbsties

B.P. Was your post "Did you also tell Don i said this?" meant for me? I think it's great that people with a extensive background in this arena (such as yourself) try to help answer the questions that the rookies like me have especially if it's a kind of industry wide challenge like paint vs powdercoat and there ability to withstand high temps. I hope that nothing I posted ANYWHERE came across wrong. I meant no harm. I am just trying to make a informed decision on which unit to buy, based on all the information that's out there and other peoples personal experiences.

Top Bottom