When do you rub your ribs?

CarterQ

Just was curious as to when folks around here are applying their rubs when doing ribs?

Traditionally I have rubbed mine and then on to the grill and have been happy with the results. Has anyone seen better results with rubbing them and letting them sit overnight or longer before going on the smoker?

KyNola

I used to rub and overnight in the frig and finally determined that I wasn't getting a lot of rub penetrating the surface of the meat so now I just rub ribs right before I put them on. Besides, if the Rub is fairly salty it may pull the moisture out of your ribs if rubbed and left overnight. Note I said "may". Others will tell you that it pulls the moisture out and then allows it to soak back in with the flavor of the Rub.

squirtthecat

I rub mine *on* the grill. So if (more like when) I toss it all over and make a mess, it just falls into the drip pan and gets happy..

And one less cutting board/pan to clean up.

Jables

I put the rub on and wait till it starts to 'sweat.' usually about twenty minutes or so. Then they go in the cooker.

sparky

i rub the ribs. turned the grill on and have a FT. once grill is to temp and FT is empty i put ribs on. real easy. ;)

TentHunter

I used to rub and overnight in the frig and finally determined that I wasn't getting a lot of rub penetrating the surface of the meat... if the Rub is fairly salty it may pull the moisture out of your ribs if rubbed and left overnight.

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I know from curing meat & sausage making, the only thing that really penetrates the meat, while it's cold, is whatever is water soluble, i.e. salt, sugars. The herbs/spices don't release much of their flavor until they are heated.

So I'm the same as the others. I rub shortly before putting the ribs on.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK I started to post and somehow it went away....

The best way and time to add rub to your ribs is about i hour before you put them on the cooker. Doing it the night before does not dry them out but is really unnecessary.
Start bone side up and apply your rub and let them stand at room temp for 20-30 minutes. They will shine and sweat and the rub will become one. after the half hour flip over and repeat and let rest the 20-30 minutes....what you have done my friends is create a dry brine that is the best for ribs

chaz345

I've done both right before putting in the smoker and overnight. I haven't noticed a huge difference either way. I do use a fairly salty rub though and so when doing something small like ribs(as opposed to butts) I don't put on very much at all.

RickB

OK I started to post and somehow it went away....

The best way and time to add rub to your ribs is about i hour before you put them on the cooker. Doing it the night before does not dry them out but is really unnecessary.
Start bone side up and apply your rub and let them stand at room temp for 20-30 minutes. They will shine and sweat and the rub will become one. after the half hour flip over and repeat and let rest the 20-30 minutes....what you have done my friends is create a dry brine that is the best for ribs

Nuff said! ;)

Moomtaz

I usually go about an hour at room temp, but unlike BP I do both sides at once. Sometimes I wrap them in Saran wrap until they are ready to go on

JD McGee

I use Sterlings method...about an hour before they hit the smoker I rub the bone side lightly...after they sweat I flip 'em over and rub the meat side heavily...the sweat is the key! :cool:

Top Bottom