Where did I go wrong?

Carter13

I cooked some baby backs today and when it came time to wrap I cooked the meat side down instead of up like I have done in the past and did the TC when finished and they turned out really nice and moist.
I used to do 3 hrs at 225, 1 hour wrapped at 225 and finished off unwrapped for 1 hour at 225.
Thanks for the info HoDeDo. I will be cooking them your way from now on.

rbaggett

I will try this tomorrow. When you wrapped for 1 hour did you add anything. I am assuming you just did rub initially. Thanks.

HoDeDo

I will try this tomorrow. When you wrapped for 1 hour did you add anything. I am assuming you just did rub initially. Thanks.

Robin, you have a couple of options depending on what flavor profile you are going for...

You can take the opportunity to just spritz with apple juice, and reseason... (not too heavy, just a sprinkle over both sides.)
If you like hotter... add some heat.
IF you like sweeter... you can achieve that too.
brown sugar, honey, - whatever flavor you like add!
some people put butter or parkay on their ribs when they wrap....

The only thing I dont put on when I wrap is sauce, some of the sugars there can scorch, or the base can overpower your other flavors. But then I dont like sauce on ribs -, so of course I think that :)

Also, when you wrap, make sure your wrap tightly... so you dont steam the flavor right out of your ribs.

Rip

Hey Andy, did three racks of back ribs last weekend, main tweak from previous was meat side down during foiling, (brown sugar, butter, and honey), definite notch up in flavor! Thanks for sharing!

Carter13

I always put a bit of butter, brown sugar and honey on them when wrapping. This sweetens up my spicy rub that I put on them.
The only time I put sauce on is when eating them the next day and I use sparingly to help moisten them up.

sparky

cooking a rack of ribs now for myself, wifes got school tonight. in all the ribs i have ever done when i wrap with foil i always did meat side up. i will try today meat side down during wrapping period. always up for a new idea. i already stole andy idea of cutting the fat cap off pork butts. i do it to all of mine now. wow, thats great. stealing another idea from andy. if i ever meet ya andy i should probably slide ya a couple of $20's in the hand shake. :cool:

rbaggett

Reporting back on the ribs last night. I did 3 hours without foil at 225. The foiled with a little apple juice, apple cider vinegar and water mixture for 1hour. Same as I use for spritz. When I unwrapped, ribs were done, done. I couldn't put them back on the grill for fear of them falling apart. I wasn't real happy. Guests loved the ribs but I may be done with foil unless someone can convence me otherwise.

Top Bottom