Where do you put temp probe on prime rib?

roburado

I did a prime rib last night. Stuck the regular probe in the end of it, burying the tip in it. (Haven't set up Pellet Boss for Armored probe yet--having too much fun!). I think it was reading a bit high. I stuck another thermometer in the meat at the midpoint of it, lengthwise, and I tried to get the tip in the middle. It was much, much lower. I put the MAK probe in the same place and instead of the 120-something I got with the MaK prob stuck in the end, I got 105. Continued the cook, pulled meat out at 131. Rested under foil til we were ready, and it was perfect.

What do you do?

TentHunter

Its usually the outer 1" or so of the tip that reads the temp so I always try to get that as close to the center as possible. I usually go in through the side rather than the end just so there's not a hole running through half of the slices.

scooter

I do what Tent does and for the exact same reason.

IMG_6903.jpg

SisInLaw

I put them in the end very deep then I can turn it if I want to

This is what Big Poppa told me to do a few months ago and I found it great for his reason: you can turn your roast when it comes time, with no problem. Just get the probe into the middle.

CarterQ

I always go from the side and as close to the center as I can, BP is right, much easier to turn. Even on a very large roast if your offset from center you will be fine.

Top Bottom