Where to start? So many choices...

PaulyT

So, my wife comes to me today with a recommendation for a Traeger pellet grill/smoker. I LOVE the idea of smoker+grill that doesn't require so much babysitting; I'm basically a lazy person. :) I've done a LOT of online research today, and my head is swimming with various options out there.

For Traeger, I would definitely want the digital temp control option, which puts me in the $800 range for the Lil' Tex Elite. BUt then I see many recommendations, often on this site, for (slightly) more expensive options like a Yoder YS480, Memphis Select, and MAK 1-star, which are generally in the $1100-$1300 range. If I'm going to go this route, I want to do it right. Is it really worth the extra $$ for this higher-end units? And I'm not sure if I should purchase online, or find a local dealer (I'm in Baltimore, MD). Where do I go from here?

Confused, but definitely interested,

... and sorry for the newb questions!

- Paul

Swineisdevine

Hopefully someone with experience with both a Traeger and MAK/Memphis/Yoder will chime in and give you some firsthand advice. I started with a MAK and haven't had any experience running a Traeger so my opinion is definitely biased. That being said, I love my MAK and have a hard time thinking that I would find any product that is significantly better.

I think that if you look through the numerous threads on this website where people are asking questions similar to yours, the answer is almost always to step up to the Yoder/MAK/Memphis.

Where you purchase from is a personal decision, Big Poppa's online shop does sell MAK and Memphis products. If you look through other parts of this forum, you will find nothing but glowing reviews as far as customer service.

Steve

TentHunter

I want to do it right. Is it really worth the extra $$ for this higher-end units?

We have a local Traeger dealer, and based on what I've seen, if you really want to do it right, then Yes, it's absolutely worth the extra money. We are way more than happy with our MAK. They offer many options that greatly increase what you can do with your grill.

...I'm not sure if I should purchase online, or find a local dealer...

Ordering from Big Poppa Smokers has never left us disappointed. Any time there's even the slightest issue with an order, they're on top of it, even if it isn't their fault. Don't hesitate to call them and ask questions about the grills.

With us, BPS & MAK have both been class acts all the way!

Cliff

muebe

I started off with a Traeger. It was a good pellet cooker and I made some great food on it. Once I got my practice in after a year of using it I was really hooked on pellet smokers. When I decided to purchase a new one I did not want another Traeger I wanted something better. Don't get me wrong... A Traeger will produce some great smoked food. But there is that old saying "you get what you pay for"

Before I bought my Traeger I knew what pellet grills were, talked with many people, and had seen their fantastic cooks on them. At that time I had no experience with one and could not fathom spending over $1,000 on one so the Traeger fit my budget. But knowing what I know now I would have went with my Memphis instead for my first one. I did good with the Traeger. I had it running on a PID. I paid $340 for it and sold it to a forum member for $200. Not bad for a one year old unit.

The build on the higher end American made units are so much better. And the MAK, Yoder, and Memphis all use an advanced PID controller system with fan speed and auger control. The MAK has four programmable meat probes for the controller and you can monitor your cook from a full function wireless remote. My Memphis is all stainless. No need to worry about rust. And the Yoder uses 10 gauge steel and weighs close to 300lbs. The YS640 is over 300lbs.

Also these units cost more than a Traeger but will consume much less pellets due to their intelligent controllers and build quality. That will save you money in pellets that will pay for itself in several years.

We obliviously cannot make this decision for you. But I have been in your shoes over a year ago. I don't regret buying the Traeger because it was a learning experience. But I highly suggest you go with one of these leading class units. Of course I recommend a Memphis but then again I am bias. Any of those three would be a good choice. The MAK 1 Star or Memphis is the better choice IMHO. And the Memphis is the best choice ;)

PaulyT

Thanks all! Great info. Yeah, I'm of the type that would prefer to spend more money up-front instead of going with a cheaper but inferior product to start with. So I'm pretty sure that that if I do this, it will be with one of the higher end (relatively speaking) models... Keep the advice coming!

Deb

Thanks all! Great info. Yeah, I'm of the type that would prefer to spend more money up-front instead of going with a cheaper but inferior product to start with. So I'm pretty sure that that if I do this, it will be with one of the higher end (relatively speaking) models... Keep the advice coming!

Started with a traeger, 18 months later upgraded to a MAK 2 star. I don't regret the Traeger, I cooked some great food on it but if you can fit it in your budget start with a MAK 1 or 2 star.

I gave the traeger to my son , he got home from college a couple weeks ago and he has cooked on the traeger once, the MAK 4 or 5 times.......

Grizzly

Check out the Green Mountain Grills (GMG). They seem to have some of the better features but start in the $700 to $800 range. I just bought one (Daniel Boone model) yesterday so I'm just trying to get the feel of it. I think I am going to like it a lot!

PaulyT

Thanks! The prices on the Green Mountain are certainly appealing. Plus it has a digital control with a meat probe, that's very cool at that price. How's the construction, does it seem solid?

The things that are putting me off Traeger right now are 1) no meat probe control (at least I don't think it has that even on the digital models?), 2) most say it's not hot enough for grilling/searing e.g. a regular steak, 3) they're pretty insistent on you using their own pellets, which ain't cheap, and 4) I've read some comments about them not being built as well these days (made in China?). So it's likely I'll not be getting one of those.

Ideally, I want to completely replace my propane grill, so I don't have to maintain two units and store them in my limited space. So I want something I can quickly cook steaks or some burgers on, in addition to smoking.

The thing putting me off the Yoder is that I'm not sure I want to grapple with a 300 pound beast! And I can't find out much info about its control system, whether it handles meat probes, programmable, etc.

I can't find a lot of detail on the control system of the Memphis (the Select would be the model I'm looking at), but it looks like it has probes and some programmability?

The "pellet boss" controller on the MAK is very appealing, it seems to be the most sophisticated of the lot. (I'm a scientist and computer programmer, I like techno toys. ;)) I like that it has a removable firebox for cleaning. The "flame zone" feature seems just like what I want, though I'm not sure if these others have something similar?

What are the operating costs, in terms of pellet use, for these various grills? Is any one obviously more or less efficient than the others? Do these high(er)-end models allow you to use pellets from other manufacturers?

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions, I would appreciate answers to any of them if you have a thought to share. I'm not looking for anyone to fill out the whole test. ;) I'm just going over all the options here, trying to make a semi-intelligent choice. Guess I probably couldn't go completely wrong with any of these - Memphis, Yoder, MAK, Green Mountain - but I want to make sure I understand what I'm getting into, as much as possible!

Thanks for listening to me ramble,

- Paul

PaulyT

Oh, does the MAK 1-star have the "flame zone" feature? I'm a little confused as to whether that's optional/extra, or only on the 2-star, or what...

muebe

Pauly here is a grilled steak on my Memphis. No flame zone. Steaks thrown directly on the grill from a wet marinade.

IMAG2076.jpg

Cooked to perfection.

So if you want something that will replace your gas grill as you can see the Memphis is an option ;)

IMAG2084.jpg

kskomodo04

I own a Green Mountain Daniel Boone model. The only issue I am having with it is only a 1 meat probe system. Other than that I am extremely happy. I also believe most manufacturers of any product recommend that you use their products. I have several different brands of pellets in my GM and the smoker police have not taken me in yet!

So Cal Smoker

Yes the MAK1 has the Flame Zone. Do your self a favor and spend more money up front now to save you money in the long run. You could spend less and get less and than try to sell it at a loss and on and on. Save the aggravation, buy American. Oh by the way BP is by far the best dealer you will find.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Thanks! The prices on the Green Mountain are certainly appealing. Plus it has a digital control with a meat probe, that's very cool at that price. How's the construction, does it seem solid?

The things that are putting me off Traeger right now are 1) no meat probe control (at least I don't think it has that even on the digital models?), 2) most say it's not hot enough for grilling/searing e.g. a regular steak, 3) they're pretty insistent on you using their own pellets, which ain't cheap, and 4) I've read some comments about them not being built as well these days (made in China?). So it's likely I'll not be getting one of those.

Ideally, I want to completely replace my propane grill, so I don't have to maintain two units and store them in my limited space. So I want something I can quickly cook steaks or some burgers on, in addition to smoking.

The thing putting me off the Yoder is that I'm not sure I want to grapple with a 300 pound beast! And I can't find out much info about its control system, whether it handles meat probes, programmable, etc.

I can't find a lot of detail on the control system of the Memphis (the Select would be the model I'm looking at), but it looks like it has probes and some programmability?

The "pellet boss" controller on the MAK is very appealing, it seems to be the most sophisticated of the lot. (I'm a scientist and computer programmer, I like techno toys. ;)) I like that it has a removable firebox for cleaning. The "flame zone" feature seems just like what I want, though I'm not sure if these others have something similar?

What are the operating costs, in terms of pellet use, for these various grills? Is any one obviously more or less efficient than the others? Do these high(er)-end models allow you to use pellets from other manufacturers?

Sorry, I know this is a lot of questions, I would appreciate answers to any of them if you have a thought to share. I'm not looking for anyone to fill out the whole test. ;) I'm just going over all the options here, trying to make a semi-intelligent choice. Guess I probably couldn't go completely wrong with any of these - Memphis, Yoder, MAK, Green Mountain - but I want to make sure I understand what I'm getting into, as much as possible!

Thanks for listening to me ramble,

- Paul

The Green Mountain is built very sturdy for around 160 lbs and they use a heavy gauge steel. I was told they average around 1 lb of pellets per hour (depending on cooking temp and ambient temp) and it will run up to 500 degrees F with no problem. It should be able to handle pretty much all your outdoor cooking needs.

Grizzly

The Green Mountain is built very sturdy for around 160 lbs and they use a heavy gauge steel. I was told they average around 1 lb of pellets per hour (depending on cooking temp and ambient temp) and it will run up to 500 degrees F with no problem. It should be able to handle pretty much all your outdoor cooking needs.

PaulyT

Great! I'm glad Green Mountain is well thought of - because I now own one. ;) Picked up the basic black Daniel Boone today, after checking it out at the local dealer. Yes, I'm pleased with the build quality, it seems quite sturdy and well designed. The place I bought it from was really more of a butcher shop that had a side room for grills, and they use a Daniel Boone for cook-offs all the time, said they had theirs running all last weekend with good results.

Now I gotta learn how to use this new toy! I'm sure I'll be back with many questions on cooking technique. :)

Cheers all, and thanks, you've been a great help.

PaulyT

I will add, my only slight quibble during the assembly process is that the metal lip on the left side that holds up the left/upper end of the grease tray was not quite in the right position, making it impossible to get the grease tray lined up properly. Fortunately, it was a simple matter of loosening the screws a bit that hold on that piece, letting it slip down maybe half an inch, and tightening it back up. Now everything looks like it should!

cowdog

Congratulations on your brand new pellet grill. Everyone on this forum is more than willing to answer any and all questions you may have and give great advice when you ask.

PaulyT

Thanks, I will! Once of the things I've really been wanting to try for a long time is the "bacon explosion" - you can google it, it's a bacon-weave-wrapped pork sausage-y delight! :D

Top Bottom