Which Pellet Grill is the best Smoker???

MAK DADDY

I noticed that the GMG's have a small fan blowing in their hopper, to ensure they keep positive airflow in the auger tube, when the blower fan kicks down... Does MAK do this as well? or is it needed?

No, it is not needed in the MAK design. The air intake and exhaust are matched up to not create enough of a positive pressure inside the cooker that could force the exhaust through the auger. The only way you could have a problem is if you never cleaned your fire pot and exhaust vents. I'm not speaking for GMG but I think they did that because their induction fan is directly underneath the fire pot vs. the air blowing down a chamber from the hopper side.

HoDeDo

No, it is not needed in the MAK design. The air intake and exhaust are matched up to not create enough of a positive pressure inside the cooker that could force the exhaust through the auger. The only way you could have a problem is if you never cleaned your fire pot and exhaust vents. I'm not speaking for GMG but I think they did that because their induction fan is directly underneath the fire pot vs. the air blowing down a chamber from the hopper side.

Thanks, you are correct about the fan placement (at least on the one I used)... so that makes sense.

KyNola

BP, your explanation of the different pellets, base wood/flavor wood/oil flavored was spot on as usual. Good explanation. As for MAK vs Traeger vs Memphis etc heck, run what makes you happy! Deb consistently turns out awesome food as we all have seen and I know for a fact she's not running a MAK. She's running a Traeger 070 L'il Tex.

As long as you're burning pellets, turning out great food and having lots of fun doing it, that's all that matters. Amen?

Phrett Bender

I also think one of the big factors in pellets is compression and consistency. I've had pellets that almost fell apart as you evened them out in the hopper, and other than were hard to break when over 1" long. They will burn very differently in different types of grills based on the controller and auger feed rates affecting both temps and stability. Another good reason to keep decent notes!

Roguejim

Rogue Jim. NO problem and this is only MAK country because there was no home for us MAK die hards prior to this. This is open to talk about any cooker and most of us started with Traegers.

First off the smoke ring is not evidence of smoke. It is a chemical reaction of nitric acid building up on the meat hittling the water in the meat . You can produce a smoke ring in an oven with a lot of salt or tender quik. In comps the smoke ring is not a factor. They are cool but do not indicate the presence of increased smoke. My MAk puts out way more smoke than my Memphis but my Memphis gives out the largest smoke ring I have seen...it is a like a streetwalkers lipstick!

Pellets are divided into three basic compositions. There are 100% wood..like 100% hickory or oak. Then ethere are the most common which are a base wood of 2/3 and a flavor wood of 1/3. If you are west coast based the base wood is alder, east of the Rockies the base wood is oak. The third one is unsubstantiated but Traegers allegedly use wood flavored oil to get their wood flavors....An alder base with oil. They have denied this and I have talked to people who have seen them being made and they say oil and Traeger has a patent for using oil for flavor. Whatever the methond I have found Traeger pellets to be my least favorite.

Please understand that what I believe is important is that we are all happy smoking food. IF you are happy with the traegers...that is fabulous.

The smoke ring was not to discredit the traeger it was just an explanation of why they exist.

Thank you for the detailed info, really. I'm by no means wedded to the Traeger. It's just all I've ever used. I think I'll check into Candy Sue's pellets. The gal at Traeger told me their pellets were 100%, i.e., no blends. But, wood oil?? I think I might just call them on this one. This is bad...

TentHunter

Another great informative thread; I love it!

...I never got into smoking because I didnt like the food that was branded smoke. It was so dark and dank and overpowering... I believe that smoke is a spice/seasoning...It is such a fabulous ingredient in any flavor profile...

...I've had food that has been exposed to too much smoke. It is FAR worse than food smoked on the light side!!!

I couldn't agree more. Nothing is worse than smoked food cooked by someone who thinks it should be drowned in a white billowing smoke that leaves a nasty bitter creosote taste that stays with you four hours and produces even worse tasting burps!

One of the advantages that even a charcoal cooker like me gets from using pellets (in pouches) is that the pellets produce a light blue almost invisible smoke that enhances but doesn't overwhelm flavor.

...First off the smoke ring is not evidence of smoke. It is a chemical reaction of nitric acid...

That brings up a really good point about BBQ & cooking in general: There is a lot of solid science & chemistry behind all of this, and understanding that, IMO, makes a difference. No wonder HoDeDo is a champ!

One other tip I learned is that the temperature of the meat when it goes on the cooker matters. Colder = more smoke flavor; for the same reasons that HoDeDo says cook longer & lower. It takes longer for the meat to reach the flavor sealed temp.

smokinlobo

And I always thought all pellets were created equal!!!
We use Traeger pellets because I can run down the street and grab a bag or two whenever the whim hits me. I don't have to worry about keeping an inventory.
We smoke with a Traeger Lil' Tex Elite.

dms3554

I am changing over from a custom stainless offset smoker to a Pellet Smoker. I have reviewed many different brands and am leaning toward Memphis Elite; however, I also am reading allot about the MAK Pellet Smokers. Can someone provide me with unbiased pros and cons for each, or recommend another equivalent. Thank You.

Ducaticraig

Another great informative thread; I love it!

I couldn't agree more. Nothing is worse than smoked food cooked by someone who thinks it should be drowned in a white billowing smoke that leaves a nasty bitter creosote taste that stays with you four hours and produces even worse tasting burps!

****TentHunter****
Regarding heavy white smoke everyone says to stay away from;
My question is the nasty bitter creosote taste come from the white billowing smoke when you bbq on a new or clean grill or does it come from white billowing smoke on a filthy bbq that has crap built up all over the inside of the grill?

I'm more of a newbie trying to understand the world of smoking meats with pellets using my Mak vs lump charcoal and chunks of wood on my komodo kamado. Thanks

Ducaticraig

After doing some research it appears both heaving smoke with low airflow and the creosote stuck to the inside of a dirty bbq both are the cause for the bitter taste in meats. Cooking with the a light blue smoke seems to be what most pellet smokers are trying to achieve, correct?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom