Who's pelllets do you use and why?

Bedford

I just got my first pellet grill a Traegar Tex 075. I can get all flavors of the Traegar pellets locally for $15 a 20 lb bag. I see everyone on here using everything but Traegar pellets. What is your opinion of the different pellet brands, and is it based on hearsay, or experience?

thank you

Big Poppa

Administrator
There is a fine line between heresay and experience! I sell BBQers delight and use them at home and in competition. I love them.
I used traeger and didnt like them as much and also had more ash....Then the heresay comes in...Traeger has a patent for using woodflavored oil in their pellets...so apple or pecan is actually filler wood with oil to get the flavoe.....bbqers delight is exactly what it says. real wood

CarterQ

When I first got my pellet cooker I played around with all types.

Started out with the Traeger pellets as I could find them locally and it was easy to get and play around with, got a lot of ash and they seemed really inconsistent. Found out about the flavor oils and that seemed too much like liquid smoke and for me defeated the purpose of cooking with wood.

My MAK came with some Bear Mtn. pellets, they worked great but seemed to have higher ash and I didn't like the alder base as well. Tried the Cooking pellets out and they were nice but they are a blend and didn't have the distinctive smoke flavors I wanted.

Finally settled on the BBQer's delight, their flavors are real wood, they always burn consistent with low ash and for me they are convenient delivered to my door from BPS. You spend a lot of money on a cooker, you look for the finest ingredients and meats to put on that cooker, no reason to cut corners on the pellet.

My advice to you, try a few different kinds out and see what works for you.

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

I use BBQ delight. They work well and I can get them in a couple days when ordered from Big Poppa Smokers so I don't need to warehouse them.

Should have mentioned Oak is number one. Cherry number two. then either wine or apple.

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I want to issue a caution...the last post like this turned into a arguement of businesspractices...lets keep this on what you like

ACW3

I have tried quite a few different manufacturer's pellets and keep coming back to BBQer's Delight. They really are top notch. Can't go wrong with them. They are very consistent, batch to batch. They also have a wide variety of flavors available.

Art

sparky

i have been using bear mountain pellets. i get them cheap. i have noticed more ash then i think i should have. my next order w/ BPS i am going to try the bbq delight in pecan / cherry. even though they cost twice as much i will give them a try. i like mixing my pellets. started w/ hickory family got tired of them. then i switch to oak / apple / cherry. i liked that mix alot. thats what i have been using for along time.

TentHunter

Where I live Traeger & BBQ'rs Delight are basically the same price: $20/20 lb.

I prefer the BBQ'rs delight because they're Oak based and contain actual flavor wood (i.e. Apple, Cherry. Hickory, etc.). The bag states exactly what's in them, so I know what I'm getting.

With Traeger pellets I don't know for sure what I'm getting.

I also like having them delivered directly to my door (free shipping) rather than driving the 20+minutes to the nearest Traeger dealer, then 20+ minutes back and wasting the gas.

Last edited:

Big_Jake

I use a blend of:
Cookinpellets perfect mix
Bbq's Delight Apple
Bbq's Delight Oak

I feel I get the best smoke flavor and smoke ring with this mix.

FLBentRider

I have used Bear mountain ( a little) Cookingpellets perfect mix (pretty good) and Bbq delight (really good, less ash)

I bought the last batch in bulk from BP, very satisfied with the transaction.

Chili Head

I've used BBQ delight since I got my MAK. No complaints here. They produce low ash and impart a wonderful flavor. I've used one bag of treager pellets recently because I can get them local and I was out of the flavor of BBQ delight i wanted. They produced more ash but the flavor wasn't much different. I found a dealer for lumber jack pellets made in Wisconsin real close to me and will be trying those this weekend. Their made from 100% wood and they offer lots of flavors as well. I'll post if I like them this weekend.

squirtthecat

I've tried a *lot* of pellets. Some that most people have never heard of (and there is a reason for that..). BBQrs Delight has some of the best smoke flavor vs ash that I've run across. $1/lb or less delivered to your door? Can't beat that with a stick. It would cost me over $16 in gas to drive to/from the nearest Traeger pellet dealer. I'd might as well get home, and tear one bag open and dump it in the driveway.

rsp076

I use Lumberjack. They are made in Wisconsin. I use the 100%. So if the bag says Hickory they are 100% hickory. BBQ delight came with my smoker and they produced twice the amount of ash the lumberjack does. Plus I get more smoke from the lumberjack than I did the BBQ delight. I see alot of people use the BBQ dlight and like them and that is good. I just do not prefer them. Plus I live close enough to where the Lumberjack are produced I get them cheap. I had my buddy take Traeger, BBq Delight and Lumberjack bags and I gave him 3 5 gallon buckets and put the pellets in them and not tell me which were which. I did a burn at 300 degrees 15 pounds each brand. In the end I could tell which pellets were which. The traeger brand produced the most ash, then BBQ delight and then lumberjack had almost nothing for ash at the end. The Traeger and BBQ delight had enough ash to vacuum out at the end. I used Hickory in all 3 brands. I do know that BBQ delight and Traeger are only 30% hickory and the 70% is what I call a filler because I like burning 100% pellets

Tatonka3A2

We too use the Lumberjack brand. Used the Traeger and didn't care for them at all. We received 4 bags of the BBQ Delight with the Yoder when we purchased it and those seem to be fine. The Lumberjack pellets are much cheaper for us to purchase so that is the route we are going for now.

Big Poppa

Administrator
You need to think of pellets as a commodity and much like gas for your car....Use what workss for you...fuel prices are going top be the biggest issue with pellet prices because freight is the killer on pellets are heavy and bulky...ouch.

Bear

I have never used anything but BBQ Delight. They were the first thing I tried (by recommendation of BP), I liked them, and saw no reason to change. I'm a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" kind of guy.

Top Bottom