Whose your favorite big time BBQ Chef?

HoDeDo

Honestly, I like to see a 'chef's' take on BBQ.... I would love to see Jamie Oliver attack low and slow, ... and I would love to see Alton Brown dissect hot and fast; for example.

All of the BBQ guys are all great, I dont really know one that wouldnt help you out. I could tell stories on just about everyone Thom mentioned and several others that have all shown how great they are as people... in and out of BBQ. I've said many times, I do this for the people... some of the best friends of my lifetime, were brought to me though this amazing thing we do. I wouldnt trade anything for the experiences I've had. Oh, and don't let Candy fool you, she is a celebrity too... just ask anyone about a pellet cooking Jambo... and they will call her out by name :) she is a great gal, and BBQ'rs Delight is definately BBQ bling!

If I had to pick one of them though, Ray Lampe, is the man. The first time I met him he was actually at a book signing years ago at the Sprint Campus, signing my cookbook... after he did that, we talked about competition BBQ as the crowd was leaving... and after they were gone... for like 30 mins. Made a big impression on me then... and has everytime I have seen him since. He is one heck of a guy and an amazing cook.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Chris is the real deal....Mike Mills was really nice to me too...I went to visit him and he spent about 3 hours with me.
IMG_0569-3-1.jpg

scooter

I can really relate to Tuffy Stone's approach to Q. Have always admired Paul Kirk, Chris Lilly and especially Mike Davis (Lotta Bull). There are so many!
For an entire family involved in BBQ I'd have to give the nod to Chris Juencke (Smokin' Yankee's). There's three generations of Juencke's involved on that team. What a great example of how to have the entire family involved in a sport/hobby!

Last edited:

Big Poppa

Administrator
I think that this comp scene reminds me of early pga golf or early rock and roll...Back the in rock the musicians drove the vans carried their gear and tore down...you could talk to them....Now you hope they leave you a warm diet coke when you get backstage....The big money hasnt hit and made them prima donnas...well maybe one...

SisInLaw

"somebody" once told me that the difference between a chef and a cook was this: a chef doesn't wash dishes.

Hope this helps.

Top Bottom