Wine and smoking

Mr Hickory

Mr Hickory, if I read your question right, you're asking if your choice in wine should differ because what your pairing it with was smoked? If you're smoking a chicken, would the wine choice be different than if you were pairing it with a non smoked chicken?
If so, I'm thinking the smoke flavor should be less of a deciding factor and the decision would have more to do with what spices/marinade/rubs/sauces you applied or how you prepared it.

Yep, you got the idea. Didn't know what parts of the cook should influence the pairing more, the spices, smoke, or meat. It's hard to tell, and without a doubt is going to require a lot of smoking time, and a large number of bottles of wine consumed to get it figured out.:D

HoDeDo

Wine is good with food but Glenlevet is better with food that's been smoked.

I am not a big scotch fan, but Laphroaig is my scotch of choice when smoking. Give that a shot! It has a great smoky character. But I can only have it in small quantities. I just dont pair well with Scotch. Guess I am more of a bourbon kinda guy, wquorshen it comes to "brown" liquors. :rolleyes:

HoDeDo

I like the "Big Poppas" -- we have made a few of those... I even found some orange pellegrino to give it a citrus twist. :)

Mr Hickory

SOunds like the first pelletsmoking.com research project. Mr Hickory will be the lead investigator.

Ready and willing, but I wan't one of those lab coats!

Of course we must do this in a completely scientific manner, so we must judge Red, and white wines with each meal, so unfortunately each meal will need to made twice. What a bummer.

Wine must be cross referenced to its location of origin, label, and year of course.

Now I need a wine sponsor so I don't bankrupt myself while enjoying every meal.:p

Ohh, see there is the next marketing bundle. The Big Poppas meal pack....a wine package setup with a bottle, the proper wood pellets, and spice rub that it pairs with, and the reccomendation of what type of meat to use with the recommended cooking process.

rbaggett

I agree that smoke and spices have an impact on wine pairing. To what extent is unknown. Therefore, I agree with the idea of testing for as long as it takes. It will also be good for the health of all those who test. If anyone needs some wine to get started, I know where some can be obtained.

Mr Hickory

Got the call today, my MAK will be here Tuesday! That means if I can get my work done so the Academy Awards load in goes smoothly, I will be doing the first wine test with some pork butt sandwiches next weekend!

I have a nice bottle of Cline Zinfandel that I have been hanging on to for a special occasion. My first smoke sounds like a good one to me!

To RBAGGETT

PM me. I could use some good red wines, and you seem to be in the biz. Always happy to support the locals.

ACW3

Okay everyone. I received this recently and have been debating whether to post this in this thread. I'll do it anyway. BP may decide it is not appropriate, and I will understand. It is worth a laugh.

Wal-Mart announced that sometime in 2011 it will begin offering customers a new discount item... Wal-Mart's own brand of wine.

The world's largest retail chain is rumored to be teaming up with Ernest & Julio Gallo Winery of California to produce the spirits at an affordable price in the $2 to $5 range.

Wine connoisseurs may not be inclined to put a bottle of the Wal-Mart brand into their shopping carts, but 'There is a market for inexpensive wine,' said Kathy Micken, professor of marketing at University of Arkansas , Bentonville. 'However, branding will be very important.'

Customer surveys were conducted to determine the most attractive name for the Wal-Mart wine brands and varieties.

The top surveyed names in order of popularity were:

10. Chateau Traileur Parc
9. White Trashfindel
8. Big Red Gulp
7. World Championship Riesling
6. NASCARbernet
5. Chef Boyardeaux
4. Peanut Noir
3. I Can't Believe it's not Vinegar
2. Grape Expectations
1. Nasti Spumante

The beauty of Wal-Mart wine is that it can be served with either white meat (Possum) or red meat (Squirrel).

P.S. Don't bother writing back to tell me that this is a hoax.
I know possum is not white meat.

Art

Big Poppa

Administrator
You working the Academy Awards? Do you work with the musicians? My friend Jimmy cox does that show (Pianist) I dont know if he still does.

Mr Hickory

You working the Academy Awards? Do you work with the musicians? My friend Jimmy cox does that show (Pianist) I dont know if he still does.

Well, our gear will be in the pit this year with them, as will one of my co-workers, but I don't think I will. I only go down there if something breaks. I work for a video equipment rental house, and we supply the gear to the end user. Just a very large quantity of gear this year, and the bad weather in the midwest destroyed the trucking schedules. Going to work this afternoon to try and catch up, load in starts TODAY!

I will keep an eye out for somebody playing the piano and will say Hi if I get the chance. Bet that will really confuse him.

Top Bottom