worth the time and money for me?

perferd

I am looking to get a grill or smoker/grill and figured I should ask owners what they thought.

I have never owned a grill and probably only cooked on a grill a handful of times. If I were to guess most of the time would be spent on steaks burgers and dogs. However if given the chance to do some real meat cooking I could definately see myself doing that.

My choices would probably be spend a few hundred on a small gasser or close to 1k ish on a smoker grill.

What say you, do I jump in head first or do I just get my toes wet???

tbone

At first, I just did it on weekends, with my friends, you know? We never wanted to hurt anyone. The girls loved it. We'd all sit around the back deck and smoke a little. It was just a kick. At least that's what we thought. Then it got worse.

It got so I had to smoke something during the weekdays. After a while, I couldn't even wake up in the morning without having that crave to go smoke something. Then it started affecting my family. I would spend time in forums and money on rubs, always looking for that happy ending. Of course, it screwed up my mind looking at all the pictures available on the internet.

I'm lucky today. My obsession has settled into a routine. It wasn't easy. If you're smart, just don't start. Remember, if some guy named Big Pappa shows up offering what many believe to be "food of the Gods," just say no.

;)

tbone

all kidding aside - jump on in. With both feet!

perferd

Thanks for the reply...

Not many dealers of anything in my neck of the woods windsor ontario. I like yoder blazin and GMG but cant find any of them. I can find traeger all day everyday but not my choice. I even called gmg and he said the grill might be too much for me never grilling before but said dealers ship them...

Scallywag

I too am in Ontario, give BP a call he can hook you up. I bought my Mak from him, best purchase I have ever made.

KristenBPS

You can submit a quote form through our website to see what freight would cost!

It's slightly above your 1K, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE my MAK 1 Star:)

perferd

I assume BP stands for big pappa. If so I didn't notice any of the brands I was looking for...GMG Yoder Blazin...I have read great things of the MAK but that's super expensive and I thought it was more of a smoker then a grill...

perferd

I think $1300 is pushing it for me I need to stay around or even under $1k...i probably shouldnt even be that high but I work my butt off for something nice...

fishingbouchman

I think $1300 is pushing it for me I need to stay around or even under $1k...i probably shouldnt even be that high but I work my butt off for something nice...

I thought the same thing. how much for that. Best purchase I have made. Wife even says it was a great purchase.

perferd

Not sure my wife would agree...she is a veggy and I would bet spending more the $500 would be a stretch lol...

My local costco has a nice north american made gasser by vermont castings that I know for sure I can sneak in. However, my problem is I really think this is what I want in a smoker grill...

Heres to hoping our powerball tix come through lol...

TentHunter

Here's my 2¢ - Make that $1,000 as worthwhile as possible. The extra $300 comes to a mere $5.77 per week for the next year (You'll spend more than that eating at McDonald's). Spend the extra $300. You'll be glad you did!

Cliff

perferd

Those seems nice thanks I will...are they chinese?

Nice to see a shout out for another brand too but hard to go chinese...

Pappymn

Those seems nice thanks I will...are they chinese?

Nice to see a shout out for another brand too but hard to go chinese...

I am on another forum and Rec Tec is very well thought of. Looks like the metal is fabricated in China. But the controller is made here in the USA.

Good price point, great controller, and great service from owners on the other forum.

Good luck!

perferd

Good news thanks...btw what forum? I tried pelletheads too but they wont even answer my registration request lol...

Oh and good news talked to the wife and said I wont spend more then $1500. With that said I should be good for options and shipping cause I have a place in michigan I ship stuff to to save money...

TentHunter

...talked to the wife and said I wont spend more then $1500. With that said I should be good for options and shipping... but hard to go chinese...

I don't know if this will factor into your choice, and how important the Made in U.S.A. thing is, but standard shipping on MAK's grills is free, from BigPoppaSmokers. Also, the MAK's are certified Made in the U.S.A.

Last edited:

perferd

Know where I can find videos of people grilling on their mak "1 star"? I can find Tons of 2 star but not much at all on the 1 star...

Top Bottom