1st spares on the MAK...

JD McGee

I did my first spare rib smoke yesterday...here's what happened...

Rubbed and ready...

574647_485181371493419_851033921_n.jpg

1 hour @ smoke...2 hours @ 250...

533099_485210194823870_1147796234_n.jpg

After 3 hours @ 250...time to wrap...

409658_485229704821919_753479038_n.jpg

1.5 hours in the foil...back on the MAK to glaze...

395830_485290694815820_1178240494_n.jpg

Resting...

486612_485291001482456_2093139903_n.jpg

Eating...

430318_485291054815784_805922415_n.jpg

Overall I am happy with the results...good smoke, but a bit overcooked for comp texture...I'll work on that! :cool:

Cheers!
JD

Chili Head

Man do those look great! Nice smoke ring and caramelization. Don't worry about comp texture unless you're practicing for a comp. Cook em how you like em!

Last edited:

RickB

Looks great to me.. I have never tried spares as I always cook bbacks. Think I am going to try those. Had them at sams for 2.48 a pound today. Anybody want to chime in on the differnce of cooking temps and times. Looks to me spares dont have the fat content of baby backs. Help please!

Last edited:

Pappymn

I think spares have more fat. I use the sparky method. I have tried other methods, but I like the results.

Chili Head

I like spares more because to me they have more flavor and I think its due to more fat to render out. I like the meatiness of baby backs though. But to play with different rubs ect I always go for spares because there cheaper.

muebe

They look real good!

I like to give them 1hour foil time and the another 30 minutes after with no foil to firm them back up a bit.

I second the Sparky method. The only way I do them now ;)

Moomtaz

Looks great to me.. I have never tried spares as I always cook bbacks. Think I am going to try those. Had them at sams for 2.48 a pound today. Anybody want to chime in on the differnce of cooking temps and times. Looks to me spares dont have the fat content of baby backs. Help please!

I always use spares for both comps and home use. They will take a little bit longer than baby backs because they have a lot more meat. I like to do two hours at 225, then two hours in foil, then one hour to glaze and firm. I cook all three steps at 225°. These times will vary depending on how the ribs look. There are many ways to check for doneness, but generally you will know when they are ready for glaze when you have approximately half inch of bone showing. If you are cooking at home and want them more "fall off the bone" then simply leave them in longer.

That is my technique. Everyone has a different way of doing ribs. Nobody is right and nobody is wrong, just find the way that you prefer and use it. This will come with practice, but you should enjoy the testing and experimentation. Personally, I think the rub and sauce are more important than the cooking technique. If you have a good rub and a good barbecue sauce you can probably put it on a piece of wood and it will taste good.

Moomtaz

And by the way JD, I think your ribs looked great.... they don't look too overcooked to me, that's the way I like them.

JD McGee

Thanks guys...they were pretty tastey (if I do say so myself...lol). Sooo...where is this Sparky method I've been hearing about?

sparky

drinking ribs

i haven't seen my son in the last week or two. so, i got off work yesterday and rode over to where he worked. he came outside and we had a cup of coffee and caught up. i asked what time do you get off work? 5 pm. how about if i cook us up some ribs and you bring the FT. cool, cool. now were talking. my wife and daughter are going out tonight. yes.... a quite house is a happy house.

fired up #336.

pretty003-2.jpg

you know the temp by now.

pretty013.jpg

wanted to make some sparky's and something spicy.

pretty016.jpg

nice and thick.

pretty021.jpg

2 hours into it. its FL time for the sparky ones.

pretty039.jpg

coming out of FL.

pretty047.jpg

the spicy ones i but some sauce on them.

pretty053.jpg

if you want some great spicy sauce try this. its my favorite spicy sauce to use.

pretty043.jpg

these are outstanding.

pretty058.jpg

all cut up. welp, my son showed up. he has a 12 pack of FT on ice in a poor mans ice chest (box lined w/ garbage bag filled w/ ice). out to the patio by the pool.

pretty064.jpg

wow, do not try the spicy ones like this unless you have tums and alot of milk. very, very spicy. chili and squit would like them. it was a great evening w/ my son have a some ribs and a FT. after dinner i went inside and bought out some churchills and bourbon. a fine evening.

sparky

i have cooked a rack or two of ribs in my time. i have a favorite rub that makes Sparky's Signature Ribs. i use this rub to make money on the ribs i sell. i've tried many times to knock my favorite rub off the #1 spot. lets try it again.

no talkie, just pics.

seaf99d025.jpg

seaf99d030.jpg

seaf99d032.jpg

seaf99d034.jpg

seaf99d035.jpg

seaf99d036.jpg

seaf99d042.jpg

seaf99d046.jpg

seaf99d048.jpg

a blind taste test was contucted using 3 ppl. the clear winner is Little Louie w/ Pepper. the flavor was outstanding. still champ. i can't wait until LL w/ P w/ jalapenos comes out. this might be the one to knock the champ off the shelf. maybe.....

sparky

like a silent film. no talkie.

4 racks sparky style, 2 racks spicy. ya buddy. ribs for the tailgate party today.

ribsandribs025.jpg

ribsandribs026.jpg

ribsandribs039.jpg

ribsandribs041.jpg

ribsandribs069.jpg

ribsandribs072.jpg

ribsandribs080.jpg

ribsandribs081.jpg

all wrapped up and ready for the game.

cont.....

sparky

cont....

friday afternoon ribs. these ones i cooked old school. Sparky's Signature Ribs w/ a twist. going to try and knock my favorite ribs of the shelf.

sparky's sig ribs = LL w/ P. this time around the same but w/ some money.

MAK99059.jpg

MAK99073.jpg

good solid color.

MAK99078.jpg

time for some old school FL.

MAK99085.jpg

my favorite part. the melting. look at the spices on that rib.

MAK99093.jpg

MAK99098.jpg

no color filters or nothing.

MAK99108.jpg

ribsandribs001-1.jpg

ribsandribs013.jpg

excellent color. good smoke ring. juicy.

ribsandribs022.jpg

these were good. won't knock Sparky's sig ribs off the shelf. haven't found nothing yet that will beat LL w/ P from the best ribs around.

thanks for looking.

Top Bottom