2 Star meat probe used for grate temp check?

mcschlotz

Has anyone used their M3 probe as a grate temp therm? Does it accurately show ambient temps? I know my grate temps are higher than the built-in box therm by approx 25° so I'm looking to use the probe and the wifi to show a running chart of actual grate temps during my smokes.

Matt

TentHunter

I haven't.

Personally I've done so many cooks on our MAK that I don't worry about the actual temp at grate level, knowing conditions in the grill change with every cook, upper rack temps are different, etc.

One thing I am insistent upon is keeping the sensor clean so it can do it's job properly, which is to give an overall snapshot of what's happening in the grill in order to keep temperatures as steady as possible.

I also think about temp differences in the grill and how that affects food placement, how to rotate food around during the cook, etc. But I never worry about the actual temp at grate level much anymore compared to what the temp sensor is reading.

Hope this makes sense. It does in my mind, but that ain't saying much! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

Has anyone used their M3 probe as a grate temp therm? Does it accurately show ambient temps? I know my grate temps are higher than the built-in box therm by approx 25° so I'm looking to use the probe and the wifi to show a running chart of actual grate temps during my smokes.
Matt

Hi Matt, the MAK meat probes are not designed to get that hot (225 max) so we do not recommend you use them for anything other than measuring/monitoring food temps.

mcschlotz

I thought that was the case Bob but wanted to make sure. Appreciate the reply!
Sure wish a re-calibration option would be added to the pellet boss so the users could dial in their units, i.e. add or subtract an amount so the reported temp is more accurate. Kind of a pain to always have to do the math and remember to set the unit 25º lower as in my particular case.

MAK DADDY

Happy to help, we have reviewed that option in the past but the downside of the grill not functioning properly based on a fictional temperature is to big of an issue. You don't have to remember temps just cook and have fun :)

SmokinKat

One thing to think about too, Matt, is that the thermocouple probe inside the grill is reading the OVERALL pit temperature, so things will be hotter right at the grate level, especially at higher temperatures as the fire gets bigger.

For general cooking temps, though, they've done a TON of testing, and the thermocouple is located where it's at because it gives the most accurate reading for the whole pit as the air and smoke circulate around the chamber.

It's a bit like having a thermostat in your house-- you set the temp to, say, 70° to get the room that temperature overall, but it's going to be warmer if you go stand right over the vent while the heat is blowing.

Hope that helps a little too,

Kat

mcschlotz

Appreciate the input guys. Pretty familiar with the HVAC reference coming from 34 years at Carrier Corp. Unfortunately it's somewhat important to know whether you are running at the set temp of 225º vs an actual 250º when you are attempting low & slow. No question I'm having fun with my MAK 2 Start but I'm forced to remember to set the pellet boss 25º lower.

TentHunter

Matt,

Now that I think about it, with our 1 Star the temperature at grate level runs hotter if I run the FlameZone Drip Pan (with the covers on) versus the original blank grease pan. The FlameZone covers sit closer to the grate level than the blank grease pan.

I love our FlameZone for grilling hot & fast, but for the majority of our cooks, which are indirect/low-&-slow, I really like the blank grease pan.

MAK makes a blank drip pan for the newer 2 Stars that's designed like the 1 Star drip pan specifically for folks who prefer to cook low & slow. It's very quick and easy to switch the two pans out when you need to.

This may be a good solution for you.

MAK 2 Star Grease Pan | Big Poppa Smoker

mcschlotz

Hi Cliff,

I am using the blank drip pan in my MAK 2 Star but still experiencing the 20-25º discrepancy. Did see your PM, thanks! As I indicated to Bob & Kat, it's more of a continual annoyance having to remember to adjust the pellet boss temp setting to compensate for this difference. Workable but annoying never the less.

Matt

Top Bottom