3" Thick Strip Steaks - Anything different about cooking them?

Saxguy

I have a few 3" Strip Steaks that I'm going to cook for dinner. Am I adjusting my temp on the MAK to account for the fact that they are thicker than usual?

alecksjaycubs

I'd say so a reverse sear. Put them on at 250 or 275 and monitor the temp. When they're 10 degrees or so from your target temp (I might even get a little closer than that because yours are so thick) pull them off and rest them while you crank up the MAK as high as that puppy will get. When it's good and hot sear the steaks off to your liking. If you have another grill that can get even hotter than the MAK maybe use that to do the sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozric

^^^
What he said (except that it's too late, 'cause you've eaten them already :rolleyes:). I'd add the following: Pull at 10°F short of desired finished IT when you are going to sear on a different, already hot, device (like a Weber kettle). If you're going to pull from the MAK, raise it's temp, and then finish/sear on the MAK, I'd pull at 15°-20° short of desired, because the IT will rise while the steaks are resting. I've slightly (one grade) overgrilled steaks before when doing a reverse sear for this reason. Live and learn.

How did they turn out? What method did you wind up using?

Top Bottom