4 Star WiFi!!

TrickyDick

Woot! Woot!

Just received the package Friday (yesterday), installed it today! Had to enlist my son to get the antenna socket into the front panel because his hands are smaller than mine. Other than that piece of cake - well except for entering the SSID/WPA stuff. Tedious especially if you have a long passphrase, but hey, its a WiFi Grill now! Created an ID at MAK grills, and bingo! Wish that it was possible to have the grill powered on without consuming pellets as it took a while, but hey, not that many pellets wasted.

The Web interface seems really slick. I need to learn about running cooking programs now. Very excited to finally be able to use this feature. Does anybody have any suggested programs for doing Pork Butt, shoulder and Beef Brisket?

Thanks MAK!

I'll be taking the packed up Remote Boss and mailing back to OR on Monday for the next person.

TD

jimsbarbecue

The nice part is cooking programs there is no limit to how many you create. On brisket I would try smoke for one hour then to 200 for one hour then 225 until internal temp hits wrap temp with a alarm for email etc. then to 250 until internal is 190 to start checking for done. At least something like that.

TrickyDick

Thanks! I am probably going to be stuck doing a flat only, as full briskets are too much unless I'm have a party, and also hard to come by where I live.

scooter

Wish that it was possible to have the grill powered on without consuming pellets

There is a fuse on the front of the PelletBoss on a 2 Star, pretty sure its on the PelletBoss of a 4 Star also. Just pull out the fuse. It controls the fan, auger and igniter.

KyNola

Scott, when they updated the MAK in 2012, they relocated the fuse. The fuse is now located "in" the Pellet Boss. You remove the 6 screws that hold the faceplate, pull it out a bit and the access to the fuse is there. The original model like you have does indeed have the fuse holder located on the front of the faceplate.

scooter

Thanks Larry! They have made a few changes since 2009! :)

TD, Either by pulling out the PB faceplate or accessing it through the hopper side panel, if you remove the fuse that controls the igniter, fan and auger you can run the PB independent of the rest of the grill electronics. Hoping MAK DADDY sees this and can validate it as what the fuse controls may have also changed since 2009.

TrickyDick

Thanks. I guess now that I have it all installed and updated, I can't imagine why I would need to operate it without consuming pellets again, but good to know in case it ever becomes necessary

Top Bottom