5# Brisket Flat

smokinlobo

Here's what we plan on doin' this Sunday. Let me know if we should change anything.
Early AM (6ish) we're gonna rub it down and then coat with some yellow mustard.
About 8 AM we're gonna throw it on the Traeger (Mequite pellets) at about 225 Traeger temp. and start drinkin' beer.
About 250 internal temp. (3 hrs?) we'll pull it off and foil it in the smoker for about 2 hours (180 internal) and continue to drink beer.
Take it out of the foil and put back in smoker (about an hour?)
About 190 internal temp take it out of the smoker and let rest, tented, for about 30 mins. OK, one more beer.
Eat and enjoy.
Sound OK to you guys and gals?

scooter

I think you may want to coat with mustard before you apply the rub.

smokinlobo said:
About 250 internal temp. (3 hrs?)

I think you mean 150 internal temp? and I'd allow a bit more time to reach 150IT cooking at 225 like about 5 or more.

smokinlobo said:
Take it out of the foil and put back in smoker (about an hour?)

Personally, I'd leave it in the foil until it reaches your pull temp of 190IT. Then wrap it in a big towel or moving blanket for a 2 or 3 hour rest and like Sparky said, at 225 the entire cook I'd plan on it taking around 12 hours possibly more. It ain't called low n slow for nothin! :)

Last edited:

smokinlobo

WOW, I thought cause it was so small it would only take about 7 hours total.
I read somewhere that you should rub, then, mustard. I will do what I normally do, mustard, then rub. We usually do a whole brisket (about 10 to 12 #'s). This is our 1st shot at a flat.
Yes I did mean 150IT.
I was thinkin' that by unfoiling and putting it back on smoker, I would get a crispier crust.
Thanx
Mike & Vicki

Last edited:

Rip

I read somewhere that you should rub, then, mustard. I will do what I normally do, mustard, then rub.

Yes, glue (mustard in this case), then rub. The glue helps the rub stick to the meat and acts as a solvent to help with flavor absorption. Keep us posted on the results, take pictures!

scooter

I was thinkin' that by unfoiling and putting it back on smoker, I would get a crispier crust.

When you rest your big cuts of meat wrapped in foil after cooking the steam coming off the meat inside the foil will pretty much stomp on your crispy bark no matter how crispy it was going into the foil. Try it one way with this brisky then try it another way with the next to see which way you like better and don't stop experimenting until you're convinced you've got it perfected. The journey is the fun part!!

scooter

WOW, I thought cause it was so small it would only take about 7 hours total.

In my experience you'll be suprised at how little difference there is to the cook time between a 5lb brisket and a 10lber when you're cooking at 225. Meat is a natural product and two identical (in appearance) roasts can take different times to cook while two other unequal in mass roasts can be done at the same time. :)

Last edited:

smokinlobo

Thanx for all the input.
We will keep trying different stuff on our briskets, till we get one just the way we like it (they've all been edible).
You have no idea how many baby backs we've tossed out because they were so bad (never use Chiavettas on pork).
We've doin baby backs about every 3 weeks winter and summer for about 3 years now.
Last week I think we finally got a couple racks that are just exactly what we were striving for.
We will start this brisket around 8AM and play it by ear.
Thanx again
Mike & Vicki

LarryF

a6fa0087-0098-415a.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

LarryF

Just pulled a 5 lb flat from my freezer. What is your favorite rub?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

smokinlobo

We tried something new today.
It was all Tastefully Simple crap.
We nailed it today.
Took 10 hours.
Will post details and hopefully pics later.
Damn, it was perfection.
Mike & Vicki

scooter

I guess we'll just have to take your word on that since you've not presented any visual evidence of said perfection.... ;)

pilot3005

I cooked my 1st flat yesterday. I used a recipe from the Traeger site as I had not discovered this site yet. Anyway, I coated it with mustard and Traeger beef shake and set temp to smoke and left it there for 3 hours. I then turned temp to 275, after about an hour I thought things were moving to fast so I dropped it back to 225. After 4 hours total time since bringing temp up from smoke I pulled the flat and wrapped in foil, internal temp at this point was around 175. It took about another 45 minutes to get internal temp to 190. I threw it in a cooler and it ended up sitting for about 2 hours. It came out nice and hot and cut up very nice. I was pleased with my 1st attempt. Wish I would have taken pictures. Sorry for ramblin, it was a great day.

Smokinlobo what Tastefully Simple stuff did you use? We use their products all the time.

smokinlobo

I took pics with my camera and can't figure out how to post.
We used 2 tbls. Bacon/Bacon, 2 tbls. Onion/Onion, 2 tbls. Garlic/Garlic,
1 tbls. Simply Southwestern, 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp. pepper.
I coated the flat with yellow mustard for the glue and massaged in
the rub.
Put the flat (fat cap down) in the Traeger at 8:15 AM. IT=45*F. Traeger temp.=225*F.
I have the hourly temps written down at home, but unfortunately I'm at work.
I pulled the flat out and tented at 6:15 PM. IT=190*F. It stalled at about 145*F.
It took about 3 hours to get moving good again.
At 6:30 PM IT was 198*F. Just right for slicing
We only peeked every three hours to take a pic and admire our masterpiece.
You're gonna have to take my word for it. This turned out to be a trophy flat.
Mike

Top Bottom