A good knife

LarryF

I turn 49 on Sunday. I Forgot. So now I am getting inundated with questions. "What do you want?". So I thought about it and the only thing I could come up with is a good knife. I am looking for something that I can trim brisket and pork shoulder easily. The knives that I have are pretty good, but I feel like I am using a hack saw sometimes. What do you like to use?

muebe

I have a few Shuns. They are great Japanese knives. Really hold their edge well. They are not cheap but worth the price ;)

LarryF

Thanks guys! I don't want to buy a set. I want one really good knife for brisket and pork shoulder. What do you use for that?

muebe

You can buy an individual knife like a Shun. You do not need to buy as a set. A full set of Shun knives is $1300 or higher.

LarryF

I just saw that BPS does gift certificates. I think I know what to tell them now. I can get a knife and some more spices. Going to be a good birthday!

Big Poppa

Administrator
Here is what I used to trim three first place briskets so far in kcbs
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/meatlocker/knives/park-plaza-8-flexible-fillet-knife

wusthof and henkels are fine..there are many levels in the forged arena Messermeister, henkels and Wustof are forged in the same place ...its what happens after that that make messermeister special...I could hafe sold any knofe company and chose messermeister.

The shun knives I have been there and done that. I have a drawer full of them. The biggest issue is the hardness that they temper them at...they are super sharp for a long time but trying to maintain that sharpness is hard and they are very prone to blade chipping at the cutting edge. WIth a softer steel it is easier to return it to sharper than new and they dont chip Gogle blade chip and shun and you will see

LarryF

Just got the knife that Big Poppa recomended today. Very nice knife! I see a pork butt and some carne asada in my very near future. Thanks for all the advice!

Kite

Here is what I used to trim three first place briskets so far in kcbs
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/store/meatlocker/knives/park-plaza-8-flexible-fillet-knife

wusthof and henkels are fine..there are many levels in the forged arena Messermeister, henkels and Wustof are forged in the same place ...its what happens after that that make messermeister special...I could hafe sold any knofe company and chose messermeister.

The shun knives I have been there and done that. I have a drawer full of them. The biggest issue is the hardness that they temper them at...they are super sharp for a long time but trying to maintain that sharpness is hard and they are very prone to blade chipping at the cutting edge. WIth a softer steel it is easier to return it to sharper than new and they dont chip Gogle blade chip and shun and you will see

BP clearly knows what he is talking about when it comes to cooking and such. So he doesn't need me agreeing with him, but I am going to anyway. I own a set of Wustof and a set of Henkels and LOVE them both. I have had the Henkels for many years and use them in my kitchen. I bought the Wustof a few years ago to use on my boat. I use the steel to true up the edge with pretty much every use. I touch up the edge on a diamond stone every couple of months or so. They are razor sharp at all times! Not only do they hold a very sharp edge very well, but they are just a pleasure to use.

One thing to note (please ignore me if you already know this) - the fastest way to dull a knife is to use it to scrape your food across the cutting board. I don't care what knife you are using, you can take the edge off in one session by dragging it across the board. Everyone does it, but those in the know flip the blade over and scrape with the back of the knife..

Happy cutting!! ..and watch those fingers. Bits of fingernail look a lot like bits of garlic, but don't taste the same.. I'm just sayin'.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yeah I love the Shuns but they just dont hold up to heavy use and cannot ever get back to the factory sharpness.

Top Bottom