A-Maze-N smoke generator; how to light?

Canyonier

I have a 12" Tube A-Maze-N smoke generator on order from Big Poppa.
For you folks that already have this or a similar device, how do you light it?
Do you use a butane lighter, a propane or map torch, or what?
Just wondering what works well.
Thanks for your info.
Glenn

flypig

I use a propane torch. I've had no luck with trying to light from the side, the flame will need to reach the pile of pellets from the main opening. Mine's 18" so I have to put a LOT of pellets in it to get it lit.

tbone

Mine's 18"

Bragger! :)

I have the 12" version and use a butane lighter. I light it from the end and usually keep the flame on it for 3+ minutes. Propane is a much better solution though.

Good luck and you're going to love it!

tbone

Ducaticraig

I use my Map torch and light one end for about 1 minute. Do not blow the flame out, let it go out on it's own until the tube end is smoking away. There's really nothing more to it. Make sure pellets are completely dry as well.

TrickyDick

Be careful with the MAP torch. It can melt steel. I have the 18" version and I was heating the solid end cap and the pellets inside the mesh and it started melting (the end cap). Maybe the end cap is aluminum. Not sure.

MAP is the way to go. Butane takes too long and costs too much to refill. One of these days I might try the fire starter cubes I use in the pizza oven stuffed into the tube smoker.

I use a paper towel soaked in olive oil and light it with a match. Took this idea from BP's thread on lighting pellets when your igniter goes out.

Top Bottom