A-Maze-N tube smoking ?

HogSmoker

Ordered me the A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker from BP. Did the recommended burn on it in the MAK. Now I have tried using but having trouble keeping it smoking.. it goes out. Seems I remember someone saying they use a propane torch to get it going. I use paper towels and other things but no luck.
It starts off smoking like a tar-kil then goes out thought maybe I was putting to much pellets in tube and was smothering out...
Thoughts ?? / instructions

Thanks H/S

MossyMO

Propane torch or a micro butane torch is needed. Normally give it torch flame for about 45 seconds and then let it flame for about 10 minutes; then blow out the flame and coals should be red hot and keep smoldering till your out of pellets in the tube.

sparky

i use fire gel. i fill my a maze n smoker w/ pellets and in the beginning of it i put my fire gel pellets. works everytime. get fire get at more grocery stores.

muebe

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they have a micro-torch that refills with butane. It works great for this purpose ;)

squirtthecat

Ditto on the torch.

IMGP1469.JPG

Tatonka3A2

Squirt - That is one FINE photograph! The DOF is wonderful and exposure is bang on! What did you use to take this?

More a photography question so if want to PM and not post this in the BBQ world that is cool

I would like to hear what you are shooting pics with too.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

TentHunter

Ordered me the A-MAZE-N Tube Smoker... but having trouble keeping it smoking. It starts off smoking like a tar-kil then goes out thought maybe I was putting to much pellets in tube and was smothering out...
Thoughts ?? / instructions

If it's going out like you said, then it's most likely not getting enough oxygen.

This has been a well known issue on ALL of the A-MAZE-N smokers ever since they came on the market. You have to find a sweet spot where it can draw air.

With the 1 Star, I haven't had the best of luck placing the tube along the back. The best place seems to be on the right hand side of the original blank drip pan, under the grate, where it can draw air up from the grease drain.

Prop it up with a couple folded strips of aluminum foil under the ends so the grease drains unimpeded. In this location it's easy to use a propane torch to get the pellets lit, even with the grate on.
TUBEMAK1.JPG

Hope this helps!

Cliff

RickB

If it's going out like you said, then it's most likely not getting enough oxygen.

This has been a well known issue on ALL of the A-MAZE-N smokers ever since they came on the market. You have to find a sweet spot where it can draw air.

With the 1 Star, I haven't had the best of luck placing the tube along the back. The best place seems to be on the right hand side of the original blank drip pan, under the grate, where it can draw air up from the grease drain.

Prop it up with a couple folded strips of aluminum foil under the ends so the grease drains unimpeded. In this location it's easy to use a propane torch to get the pellets lit, even with the grate on.
TUBEMAK1.JPG

Hope this helps!

Cliff

Cliff you have that nailed. When i put it in the warming area without enough air draw it almost went out. Opened up all the vents in the warming drawer it took off. These tubes must have some air draw.

HogSmoker

TUBEMAK1.JPG

Hope this helps!

Cliff
Bingo Cliff.. I bet that was part of my problem, because that is where I was placing the tube in the back. And like I said it would smoke good at first but when I put the lid down it would go out.
Going to get me the torch and try the placing it where you said...

Thanks agin everyone for all the info !

TentHunter

I'll definitely be interested in seeing if that location works as well for you. Be sure and keep us posted.

Last edited:

muebe

The first location I tried on my Memphis worked well...

IMAG2303.jpg

IMAG2301.jpg

IMAG2302.jpg

IMAG2307.jpg

It smoked for 5 hours ;)

Let it get started by allowing a flame to burn in it for about 5 minutes before blowing it out. Then you should have no problem with it staying lit.

TentHunter

Let it get started by allowing a flame to burn in it for about 5 minutes before blowing it out. Then you should have no problem with it staying lit.

That's really good advice. It's got to be going good in the first place. You also started you Memphis after 30 minutes which brings up another good point:

These things behave very differently while running a pellet grill versus cold smoking. A running pellet grill provides plenty of air flow no matter where that tube is placed. When using them to cold smoke for hours, air flow becomes more of an issue.

I had this issue in both pellet grills: In the Stoven/Weber I found, when cold smoking, I have to open the top & bottom vents or the tube struggles. On the MAK1 Star, that location on the right hand side seems to be a sweet spot.

I guess it depends on how your grill is vented.

MossyMO

Not sure about other pellet grills but with a Yoder we can just turn the power on and the fan starts. This is without pressing the start button which powers up the hot rod and enables temperature selection. So by just giving the grill power the fan will provide air movement for the tube smoker, makes it easy to just apply smoke.

Top Bottom