A "Mini" Crawdad Boil on the Grill

cowgirl

I made this for the last few Super Bowl games as my contribution to finger food.
This cook was from New Years eve..
Last year I used the drum but this year I used the grill. I put hickory pellets directly on the hot side of the grill... worked great.

I filled a pan with just enough water to cover the new potatoes. Seasoned with crab boil, Old Bay, lemons, cayenne peppers, coarse salt, smoked sausage, garlic and onions.
Heated one side of the grill for the pot..
Placed some bacon wrapped corn on the "unlit" side for indirect heat.

bb6689e2-1.jpg

When the potatoes are almost tender, I add the crawdads next, then the shrimp...
The crab legs go on the indirect heat to catch some of the smoke.

cbb49176-1.jpg

757eba3a-1.jpg

The spicy crawdads, shrimp, smoked sausage, new potatoes, bacon wrapped corn, smoked crab legs, grilled garlic bread....
also served garlic butter, cocktail sauce, plenty of napkins and cold drinks.

958001f2-1.jpg

It's one of my favorite finger foods. :)

650c1daa-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Salmonsmoker

Ditto on the Crawdads TH. Great looking platter Jeanie. I live in a seafood area, but never see them. I must not be looking in the right places.

ACW3

Thanks Jeanie for posting that seafood feast. My tastebuds just went into overdrive!

Art

MossyMO

Your one of a kind Jeanie, looks simply delicious. Next year you will be voted #1 food blogger of the year... trust me!

cowgirl

Thanks everybody!!

I love Jeanie!

Luv you too Smokin' Pal! Thanks for making my day! :)

Ditto on the Crawdads TH. Great looking platter Jeanie. I live in a seafood area, but never see them. I must not be looking in the right places.
SalmonSmoker, I envy you... I'm surrounded by beef but would love to have access to fresh seafood. Thanks! :)

Your one of a kind Jeanie, looks simply delicious. Next year you will be voted #1 food blogger of the year... trust me!
Marty thanks!! I appreciate what you did for me and my blog. I didn't dream it would make it to second place. Thanks friend!! :)

Salmonsmoker

Jeanie,
I did some googling today and could not find a source for crawdads, short of going to a restaurant. We're talk'n Seattle & the NW. We do have a crawfish season starting in May I think. May have to catch my own. They'd be fresh. Something I didn't know until today ....Crawfish poaching has become a major problem here as elsewhere. There's only one indigenous species here, the Signalman Crayfish and is larger than others harvested. 6+ inches in 5-6 years. Who woulda known? Just what I need....more gear in the garage. :)

cowgirl

Jeanie,
I did some googling today and could not find a source for crawdads, short of going to a restaurant. We're talk'n Seattle & the NW. We do have a crawfish season starting in May I think. May have to catch my own. They'd be fresh. Something I didn't know until today ....Crawfish poaching has become a major problem here as elsewhere. There's only one indigenous species here, the Signalman Crayfish and is larger than others harvested. 6+ inches in 5-6 years. Who woulda known? Just what I need....more gear in the garage. :)
:) Salmonsmoker... the Signalman would be nice! I come across a few good sized ones here but most are a lot smaller than that. If you do decide to add more gear to your collection, these crawdad traps are easy to make..
Cowgirl's Country Life: Homemade Crawdad Traps
I use them in my shrimp pond too. Hope you have great luck finding them!

I have found they can be had from most Fish stores. But you have to order them ahead of time.

Thanks Jim! My grocery store carries them sometimes too. I bet they could order them... good idea! :)

JeffCO

We've got Asian markets here in Metro Denver that carry them (and lots of other odd seafood items) pretty regularly. You just have to sort through and get the ones that are still alive.

Top Bottom