About to pull trigger on MAK1

uintafly

Hey all,

I had a GRG for a few years, but finally got sick of the wild temp fluctuations and sold it. Now I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a new MAK1. I am still debating a little however between the MAK1 and a lightly used Yoder 640. The nice thing about the Yoder is that though it is used, it was manufactured in November, 2017 so I am getting an almost new unit at a deep discount. It's the 640 with the 2 piece diffuser, grill grates and the competition cart for $1,800. New this would be about $2,700 shipped to my house. The problem is, I still feel the MAK1 is a better all around smoker, even though I would have to pay extra for all of the shelving, grill grates, and flame zone that would come with the Yoder. But I do like the option to cook directly over the firebox with the Yoder. Right now Big Poppa has a MAK1 special for $1,800 that includes a probe, cover and a bag of pellets. I'd probably take a pass on the flame zone for now, but get a 3/4 rack and either a side or front shelf, which would put me at about $2,050. Then in the future I can upgrade the Flame Zone and wifi if I decide I need it.

I probably know the answer, but all things considered would you go with the MAK over the Yoder? If the MAK came with the side shelf and 3/4 shelf it would be a no brainer for me, but all of the extras slowly add up. And I am just a few months removed from dropping all together too much money on my ski addiction.

If I do go with the MAK would you say the side shelf or the front shelf is more useful? Also will the cover still work with these shelves installed?

Thanks for any info and sorry for the rambling.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I am biased....for good reason....I also think even if you got a stripped down 1 Star you are getting a great tool....If you had only one option available it would be an internal shelf. Hope you choose us! thanks

uintafly

I am biased....for good reason....I also think even if you got a stripped down 1 Star you are getting a great tool....If you had only one option available it would be an internal shelf. Hope you choose us! thanks

Definitely getting the internal shelf. But I also either want the side or front shelf as well. Which one of those do you think is more convenient? Also does the cover fit over the grill with the shelves still in place?

Thanka

TentHunter

Having been a MAK 1 Star owner for 7 years now (my original was a 2011 model), and knowing two different guys who owned Yoders, got rid of them, and now own MAK's, I'd say yes definitely go with the MAK 1 Star.

It'll let you get into a great cooker and add options later as budget allows. Plan on getting the FlameZone at some point.

GoodRevrnd

Is the Yoder being sold for any performance reasons? That Yoder is a screaming deal, but you clearly want the MAK. Unless you really need the cart and extra space just get the MAK and be happy. I don't want to spend MAK money either, but still decided I'll go all out for a 2* next month so I don't have to put up with any pellet grill nonsense.

Salmonsmoker

Is the Yoder being sold for any performance reasons? That Yoder is a screaming deal, but you clearly want the MAK. Unless you really need the cart and extra space just get the MAK and be happy. I don't want to spend MAK money either, but still decided I'll go all out for a 2* next month so I don't have to put up with any pellet grill nonsense.

I think you've made a wise choice GoodRevrnd!

rwalters

I know that Yoder has a lot of owners that sing their praises... but I’d Hands down, with no hesitation, recommend the MAK! I’ve seen way to many issues and frustrations with the Yoder’s. Lately, I keep seeing YS640 owners gripe about the quality of the paint...and the fact that it flakes off so easily and rust immediately sets in. That is one thing you’ll never have to worry about with a MAK. Underneath the super high quality powder coat you will find aluminized steel. Even if you were to chip or scratch the powder coat, aluminized steel doesn’t rust. Just one of numerous reasons I vote MAK :)

mrbbq

I've been cooking on Pellet Grills since 1991. IMHO, the MAK line-up is the best of the bunch. The amount of features found on the controller are un-matched. One of the BEST things you can do is to read the owner's manual for both the Yoder and MAK, which will give you a wealth of information about each unit.
A number of former Yoder owners have switched to MAK, primarily for better temperature control and the features found on our Pellet Boss PID controller. Not to mention that the MAK is easier to maneuver. And our LIFETIME igniter warranty.
Come join our party! You won't regret it.

Monken

Another vote for Mak. Best quality and built like a tank. Nothing is trouble free and I use mine a lot so have probably had more problems than most. The team at Mak has always been responsive to my issues and worked hard to fix them.

Top Bottom