Another BBQ for Sparky???

sparky

cool concept. dude, art your married. my wifes not going to let me have a open fire on the ground. lol. ya know how much i would be "talked too". thats never fun. :( the idea seems like alot of work to me. swinging a basket. i'm a lazy bbqer. put meat on. FT time. take meat off. FT time. i'm not into fussing w/ a fire. set it and forget.

"In particular, when you drink a glass of Riesling with it, it all comes together. The meat, the wood and the wine — it's all perfect," Mosel says.

now if they can put something together that has FT involved i'm all in buddy. :)

ps: i'm loving Ursula big time. :) :) :)

my next venture is looking at getting a gravity feed smoker. i like the concept and i can cook alot of food on it for along time. i don't believe in gurus. i just use the vents. i'm a old fashion guy.

Last edited:

Moomtaz

The cook in the article was called a "schwenkmeister". That's funny. And I agree with the lazy q'er concept as being more appealing. That's why I got into pellets in the first place!!! It would be cool for an afternoon though.

Wing Commander

Schwenker is one of those German words that just sounds kind of naughty. But in a few places — the Mosel Valley in western Germany, and the state of Saarland next to it — schwenker means three nice things. It's a cut of pork, usually from the neck. It's also the person who grills this meat, and most importantly, it's a sort of strange, swinging grill you cook it on.

That's exactly where I live, guys: the Mosel Valley area of Saarland! :D

And no, I do not practice Schwenker grilling. I'm with Sparky and his lazy BBQ-concept. But sometimes it is quite fun tossing some Schwenker on the Schwenker ;) and having some beer while swinging the grate. Maybe I'm gonna do that tomorrow and take some pictures for you...

Because Germany's Mosel Valley is a wine-growing region, the fire is traditionally built out of charcoal and dried grape vines.

Nope, traditionally the fire is built out of beech wood. Using dried grape vines may be practiced by some winemakers, but anybody else uses beech wood.

And there's one more tradition: the Schwenker (the grill) is built by the Schwenker (the person) himself, and in former times (and even nowadays) traditionally out of material stolen from a coal mine or an ironwork, the most spread industry in Saarland.

Top Bottom