Any buddy have a MES 40?

68sting

I picked up MES 40 to compliment my Louisiana 450. I have a few things I like with a heavier smoke than I have managed with the 450. I have read good things about the MES and found one on Craigslist. I did a tri tip in each smoker and didn't care for the taste off the MES. I used the same pellets in both. I'm not sure what the previous owner used for smoke but it does have a different smell to it. Is there a way to clean or reseason a smoker?

Picture445.jpg

MossyMO

Wife and I have MES 40" and a 30". As far as cleaning just give the interior a thorough cleaning and re season the interior with a few hours of smoke to get your own smells in it.

Are you using a 6"X8" A-MAZE-N smoker in your MES? They work well in the MES and you can adjust the amount of smoke by either lighting one or both ends of the smoker.

My personal opinion is a pellet grill will just give your a better tasting tri-tip than the MES will; MES has it's uses such as small sausage smokes, cheese etc. But if you have the choice of grills with a steak style cook I would pick the pellet grill for the task.

68sting

I agree the tri tip is great off the pellet grill but it doesn't have much of a smoky flavor compared to my stick burner. I like the deep smoke for a few recipes and was hoping for a set it and forget smoker that can give me a deep smoke flavor.

I don't have an amnps yet but plan on buying one.

dconder1

I started on the MES 30" then switched to the 40" before I ventured in to pellets. I loved the set and forget aspect of electric smokers and it was a great way for me to get started in smoking. I got good results on brisket and pork using both. One thing I learned the hard way was always clean out the water pan after each smoke. I made that mistake one time in the summer. Did a huge brisket smoke for a party on the fourth of july and in all the chaos forgot to clean out the water pan. Put the cover back on and left it for several days. Next time I opened up the smoker door it was nasty and rancid. I cleaned the smoker several times followed by several smokes of just wood to try and get that smell out. It took a while but finally got it back to normal. Lesson learned that hard way.

Tatonka3A2

Be sure to have that top vent open when smoking - if that is closed during your whole process you will get an off taste on your food.

68sting

I just ordered an amnts from BP. I'm curious to see how much that will supplement my 450 and the MES40. I ran the vent half closed so that could have played a part. I'll give it a good scrubbing and try it again.

Top Bottom