As we head into colder weather...

TentHunter

Well, here in NE Ohio, we've already seen our first snowflakes of the season!
huh.gif

When colder weather arrives, I tend to start smoking more meats (bacon, sausage, etc.) and comfort foods.

How does colder weather affect your cooking? What foods will you start cooking on your grill/smoker?

RickB

Got into the 30's this morning and being on vacation started smoking some cheese. Will be doing this for the next two mornings. Did apple smoked monteray jack and extra sharp chedder this morning. Tomorrow hickory and saturday some hazelnut.

flypig

I'm currently making my cheese plans for the year. I'll be doing about 10 lbs this year. Mostly really sharp cheddar, some fresh mozzarella, jack and still researching some other types. I'm also due for some bacon and sausage to last the year.

I also plan on putting up some vac sealed pastrami, roast beef and turkey breast for trailer and motorcycle camping sammiches! I just got a used Hobart slicer to replace my hobby model, so this year it's going to be full on!:D

I use the cold weather to store up stuff and get my cold smoke on. Other than the season ending brisket feed this weekend!

Salmonsmoker

I'm currently making my cheese plans for the year. I'll be doing about 10 lbs this year. Mostly really sharp cheddar, some fresh mozzarella, jack and still researching some other types. I'm also due for some bacon and sausage to last the year.

I also plan on putting up some vac sealed pastrami, roast beef and turkey breast for trailer and motorcycle camping sammiches! I just got a used Hobart slicer to replace my hobby model, so this year it's going to be full on!:D

I use the cold weather to store up stuff and get my cold smoke on. Other than the season ending brisket feed this weekend!

Fly,
Add Colby jack, provolone, Swiss and cream cheese to your list. They are all excellent smoked.

TentHunter

Fly,
Add Colby jack, provolone, Swiss and cream cheese to your list. They are all excellent smoked.

If you like Blue Cheese, be sure to add some of that as well. Smoked blue cheese is INCREDIBLE! I Like Gorgonzola the best.

Also try coating some of the sharp cheddar in some paprika before you smoke it.

soupyjones

I did a batch of cheese last week just to try some new stuff out. A black pepper crusted old cheddar, sundried tomato crusted havarti and a horseradish monteray jack were all excellent. I also had some good luck with an Imperial spreadable cheddar over hickory smoke. When it gets Canadian cold, cheese is one of the few things I can still smoke without wasting tons of pellets.

soupyjones

I also want to try out some Tent style sausage this year. Bacon is on my to do list as well but I am a bit gun shy since my last disaster trying to cure a pork loin. I must plan better and take pics this time around!

TrickyDick

Congrats on the Hobart slicer Flypig! I'm using the $99 model from Amazon.com. It works pretty well, and is compact enough for easy storage when I'm not using it.

smoked cheese sounds great. I would never have guessed about blue cheese being suitable for smoking. whats the best way for smoking cheese on a MAK without having the 2 star and cold smoking attachment? Also cold smoking ambient temps, what do they need to be for food safety? Cheese is probably not as strict as pork belly I'm sure.

what was the pork loin disaster by the way?

I'm out for a conference in San Diego this week, so I'll not be smoking anything soon, but I AM starting to feel inspired to do up a large batch of bacon, and maybe do some sausages soon. I picked up some baby backs but never got around to smoking them, so I ended up putting them into the freezer. I am also feeling like doing a brisket soon. In my other hobby, homebrewing, I've met up with a pig farmer whose been taking my spent grains and recycling them into pork! I am hoping to maybe work out an exchange program and maybe get some meat in return. Hampshire/Yorkshire cross and Yorkshire breeds. From what I understand the Berkshire and Kurobuta(?) breeds are highly prized.

TD

soupyjones

TD I use my A Maze In tube to smoke cheese to great success. Failing that a tin foil pouch filled with pellets would work as well. Tent has posted about the temp range for smoking cheese before. Off the top of my head I do not recall what it is.
My pork loin disaster was a ham handed attempt at making back bacon cured with celery juice. I did not measure, I did not time anything and I did not succeed. It was a horrible waste of meat and pellets. The next try will be well thought out and planned for.

TentHunter

TrickyDick said:
Also cold smoking ambient temps, what do they need to be for food safety? Cheese is probably not as strict as pork belly I'm sure.

No worries about "food safety" at all with cheese. What's critical is that you keep temps BELOW 90° or the cheese will start to sweat oils and pickup some really nasty creosote flavors. I like to keep it around 80° or below to allow a little fudge room. The colder the ambient temp, the longer it will take to smoke the cheese.

Another tip is to let the cheese air dry for a couple hours on a wire rack to form a thin rind. This helps to control smoke absorption and sweating.

I have an old post somewhere with more details...

fishingbouchman

Will be doing some cheese at some point. Only cooking/eating habits that change with the cooler months is I will eat more comfort food. Well comfort to me anyway. soup / stew / stroganoff. but for the most part I cook what I want to eat that day no mater the weather.

Top Bottom