Ash Levels from 100% Flavor Wood Pellets

TentHunter

Craig asked a great question in another thread that I thought would make for good discussion:

Ducaticraig said:
I've heard others make mention about some pellets produce more ash then others. For someone who cleans out their firepot/box regularly is producing a little more ash even something to be aware of? I love using 100% wood and don't care about a little more ash to vacuum out. Of course that will be a problem if cleaning out your pit does not happen regularly.

I could be speaking out of my butt on this topic but I usually hear the producing more ash issue when it comes to pellets that are 100% of a given wood.

Are there other issues with producing more ash that I'm not aware of or mentioning above?

TrickyDick

I tend to use 100% flavor wood (usually from BPS BBQer's Delight 2 pound bags) in the Amazin' Tube Smoker, either alone or in conjunction with the MAK running for added smoke or variation in flavor, though usually alone if I'm attempting to cold smoke. The other way I use is to blend with fuel pellets, usually Oak, to mix up flavors. I keep a small child's sand pail and an aluminum scoop to manage the pellets in the hopper. I've not recorded any specific ratios. Personally I can't really sense much of a difference in the different types of wood, but I've got a lot of allergies and live in a state of perpetual sinus congestion. I recently cold smoked sea salt and tried 4 very different flavors (Orange, Jack Daniels, Hickory, Mesquite) so I will see if I can discern different flavors in the smoked salt (Thanks to Rick B for this idea!). As a homebrewer, I usually keep oak wood chips on stock to add barrel flavor to certain beer styles. I am thinking of trying some whisky soaked oak chips in the tube smoker soon.

Personally however, as a primary fuel pellet, I have NOT experimented with 100% flavor wood. I have added a cup or so to the bottom of an empty hopper then added fuel pellets over top thinking that the initial intense smoke production during the ignition and warm up of the grill with the flavor wood would impart additional flavor. Again, I'm not the best judge of the flavor effect. With respect to ash buildup, this I cannot say. I'm a poor janitor, and admit to not cleaning my grill before every cook, or even more than once every several months.

Not sure that helped. I imagine that the postulated problem of excessive ash would be most apparent and problematic for long slow cooks such as for shoulder/brisket/butt hot smoking.

TD

RickB

I tend to use 100% flavor wood (usually from BPS BBQer's Delight 2 pound bags) in the Amazin' Tube Smoker, either alone or in conjunction with the MAK running for added smoke or variation in flavor, though usually alone if I'm attempting to cold smoke. The other way I use is to blend with fuel pellets, usually Oak, to mix up flavors. I keep a small child's sand pail and an aluminum scoop to manage the pellets in the hopper. I've not recorded any specific ratios. Personally I can't really sense much of a difference in the different types of wood, but I've got a lot of allergies and live in a state of perpetual sinus congestion. I recently cold smoked sea salt and tried 4 very different flavors (Orange, Jack Daniels, Hickory, Mesquite) so I will see if I can discern different flavors in the smoked salt (Thanks to Rick B for this idea!). As a homebrewer, I usually keep oak wood chips on stock to add barrel flavor to certain beer styles. I am thinking of trying some whisky soaked oak chips in the tube smoker soon.

Personally however, as a primary fuel pellet, I have NOT experimented with 100% flavor wood. I have added a cup or so to the bottom of an empty hopper then added fuel pellets over top thinking that the initial intense smoke production during the ignition and warm up of the grill with the flavor wood would impart additional flavor. Again, I'm not the best judge of the flavor effect. With respect to ash buildup, this I cannot say. I'm a poor janitor, and admit to not cleaning my grill before every cook, or even more than once every several months.

Not sure that helped. I imagine that the postulated problem of excessive ash would be most apparent and problematic for long slow cooks such as for shoulder/brisket/butt hot smoking.

TD

So how did you like the salt? I found as I opened the different bottles the scent was very different. But the taste difference was much more subtle. Did you use the sea salt flakes? I think the surface area of the flakes made a big difference.

Btw.. I cold smoked for 3 hours on each batch.

Big Poppa

Administrator
actually the question isnt a little more ash...generally with the ones Ive tested it is a LOT more ash and it affects your combustion which affects your temps and flavor.

The hardest thing with the salt and such is that you are still primarily tasting either oak or alder....

Kite

I regularly burn pellets that people claim to have a high ash content and have never had a single issue with them. I haven't noticed any excess ash (I do clean my burn pot before each run) and have not had any problems with temp or my fire. So I don't consider "makes too much ash" comments in my decision on pellets.

TrickyDick

So how did you like the salt? I found as I opened the different bottles the scent was very different. But the taste difference was much more subtle. Did you use the sea salt flakes? I think the surface area of the flakes made a big difference.

Btw.. I cold smoked for 3 hours on each batch.

I enjoy the salt, and thanks again for the idea. I did hickory, mesquite, orange, and jack Daniels. The aroma is different for sure. As for flavor, it does add some smoke to the dish, but so far I have not experimented much with them. I used sea salt flakes, though a different brand than you used. I forgot which brand at the moment. The flakes were slightly moist. I am wondering if kosher salt would work just as well, though they are less flaky than sea salt I think. I haven't used much sea salt in the past.

I filled my 18" tube about halfway, and let it run overnight with main burners off, to cold smoke. I'm not sure on the timing, but at least 3 hours burn time.

I'm looking forward to using these in the sous vide to simulate a grill cook on the steaks.

So far I've only used them once, on some chicken breasts that I cooked inside I think on the foreman style contact grill. They had nice flavor, perhaps more experimentation is in order.

What have you tried so far?

TD

Ducaticraig

I regularly burn pellets that people claim to have a high ash content and have never had a single issue with them. I haven't noticed any excess ash (I do clean my burn pot before each run) and have not had any problems with temp or my fire. So I don't consider "makes too much ash" comments in my decision on pellets.

Kite, I agree with you 100% when one cleans out the fire pot before each use. I've noticed some extra ash when going 2 or 3 cooks before cleaning out the fire pot.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Kite

You can buy either one - your choice. When people talk about 100%, they are talking about 100% of the flavor wood (for example, 100% hickory wood for the pellets of hickory flavor). If not labeled 100%, then they are almost certainly the named flavor wood mixed with either oak or alder, depending on what is most available in your location. And generally the mix is around 25% (up to 40% claimed by some manufacturers) of the flavor wood and the rest is either oak or alder.

Top Bottom