Awe, snap! The dreaded GFI gremlin ...

mcschlotz

...and right on cue for a SB LII smoke, RATS!!! While I did have a spare igniter there was no way these hands were going to be able to get through the task in 29º weather with snow & 25 mph winds. Also wasn't crazy to go through the dismantling effort in order to light the fire pot manually. Since this was the first GFI issue I've had with my unit since new (2014- not bad huh!) I was hoping the igniter was only starting to fail (ergo the GFI trips) vs totally shorted, so I ran a power cord out from a non-GFI circuit and Voila, back up and working. Whew, the party was back on schedule :cool:

So if you're having GFI issues, in a pinch you might try a heavy gage extension from the house. YMMV :)

:confused: hmm... igniter needs replacing soon, maybe better in the long run to order the new FlashFire vs using the spare

Big Poppa

Administrator
hey the manual light is no biggie...but that gfi is like going to a fortune teller and getting bad news!

mcschlotz

Sounds like the votes are in and FlashFire is the way to go. Once the weather warms enough so my hands can stand it I'll be installing one. Big Poppa are you selling those? Sure hoping the installation doesn't turn into an all afternoon science project :confused:

mrbbq

Sounds like the votes are in and FlashFire is the way to go. Once the weather warms enough so my hands can stand it I'll be installing one. Big Poppa are you selling those? Sure hoping the installation doesn't turn into an all afternoon science project :confused:

Even it you aren't a "handy" person, it only takes about 20 minutes to install the new FlashFire ignition. If I can do it...anyone can do it. And it definitely makes a HUGE difference in how QUICKLY your fire is started in your MAK.

Monken

Another vote for the flash fire, I have a Traeger and several Mak’s and the igniter is the weak link as have replaced many. I have had the flash fire on two smoker for well over a year and they work flawlessly.

onionhead

Installing a Flash Fire is a set and forget project, but do remember to clean out the fire pot of ashes. I have to give a shout out to Tent Hunter (Cliff). A while back I read Cliff's Notes (pun intended) about smoking meat from the startup of the MAK, instead of waiting to reach Smoke Setpoint. I have done this a few times and it has worked out very well. I thought he might be "loco en la cabeza", but not so, once again. Good job, Cliff!

Top Bottom