Baked beans?

Big Poppa

Administrator
mayn I have made them before the last time was on bbq pitmasters...but even the great cooks start with Bush's and doctor from there....little ketchup a dash of mustard onions red peppers google it on the net and you will get tons of stuff.

TrickyDick

I tried some beans once and think I had them on the smoker too long. To much smoke flavor. Never thought I'd say you can have too much, but my beans did.

TD

Mayn

Ok, I will look around online. That is exactly what I did last night BP and TD is doctor up some bushes lol. Bushes are good beans. Thanks for the input.

TentHunter

I don't start from Bush's or any other brand of baked beans.

I sometimes start from dried beans and cook them first, but usually just start from regular canned beans.

I typically start by frying up some bacon & chopped onion, add a little salt, pepper (to taste), Paprika. Toss in three cans of beans (Pinto, Navy, Kidney, etc. your choice), 1/3 - 1/2 cup BBQ sauce (I use my own homemade, but you can use whatever BBQ sauce you like), a little brown sugar, a little mustard.

Sometimes instead of bacon I'll use smoked sausage or breakfast sausage.

Sometimes I will add a chopped apple & 1/4 cup Jack Daniels and call them Apple Jack beans.

Baked them off in a dutch oven or casserole dish in your smoker without a lid so they can catch some smoke.

Mayn

Awesome. I will try that. I so far haven't attempted to make a bbq sauce so I just buy mine. That recipe sounds awesome. I'll try it. Thanks for sharing that!

Sir Lamerok

I usually fry up some bacon and add some onions, bell peppers and jalepeno and let them soften up and put them in a disposable pan and add canned beans then add some brown sugar and BBQ sauce and a little mustard and then smoke them to your desired level of smoke

HogSmoker

My baked beans goes like this 28 oz bush beans.. 3 table spoon rub ( what ever your fav rub is ) 1/3 cup apple juice...1/3 cup wickers bq marinate....1 table spoon onion salt....1/2 table spoon black pepper....1 table spoon Greek season ... 3 table spoon brown sugar... and 1 pk hot dogs cut up in round slices... stir all this in the beans put on smoker cook till they start to caramelize. They don't last long at the table around my parts anyway.. :) One of my pet peeves is when you go too a bq restaurant and order baked beans and when you get them it taste like they just open a can pork and beans and heated them up. I always think WTH folks put some thought into this for pete sakes...

scooter

I'm with BP, start with Bush's and doctor it up with bacon, sauted onions, mustard, bbq sauce, molasses etc. Your imagination is the limit!

RickB

My baked beans goes like this 28 oz bush beans.. 3 table spoon rub ( what ever your fav rub is ) 1/3 cup apple juice...1/3 cup wickers bq marinate....1 table spoon onion salt....1/2 table spoon black pepper....1 table spoon Greek season ... 3 table spoon brown sugar... and 1 pk hot dogs cut up in round slices... stir all this in the beans put on smoker cook till they start to caramelize. They don't last long at the table around my parts anyway.. :) One of my pet peeves is when you go too a bq restaurant and order baked beans and when you get them it taste like they just open a can pork and beans and heated them up. I always think WTH folks put some thought into this for pete sakes...

Those arent baked beans... Those are beanie wenies! Home style. :)

Top Bottom