Best pellets to have on hand

poncho

I'm new to pellet cooking and I'm looking to get five or six bags of pellets to have on hand. I have a friend that can get me a good deal on bear mountain BBQ pellets so I was wondering what are the best flavors to have on hand, I will be starting by experimenting with beef, pork and chicken, and would like to try some steelhead and salmon once I can get the drift boat on the Klickitat. Thanks!

soupyjones

You will get a hundred different answers to that question from any 10 people. I messed with all kinds of flavours of pellets and the mix that has been my favorite so far is 50/50 apple and maple. Lots of guys like apple\hickory too. In the long run there is no wrong wood to use. Try them all and go back for more of your favorite.

Chili Head

Bang for your buck would be oak. Burns hot and has a mild smoke flavor that works with everything. If you want to mix I like hickory,maple and cherry. Apple and hickory. Lots of choices and combinations. I always try to have just plain oak on hand though.

poncho

Thanks for the ideas this is exactly what I was after, on my last night shift tonight so tomorrow I get to try making up some ribs, can't wait!

Chili Head

Since BBQ delight has 70% oak as a base I never mix BBQ delight oak with any other BBQ delight flavor. I have been mixing 100% hickory,maple,cherry or hickory and apple. To answer your question..I have not mixed 100% oak with any other 100% flavor wood. Sorry I almost got off track lol. I would like to try the pecan in pellet form. I've used pecan in my Bradley and liked it a lot.

Kite

Since BBQ delight has 70% oak as a base I never mix BBQ delight oak with any other BBQ delight flavor. I have been mixing 100% hickory,maple,cherry or hickory and apple. To answer your question..I have not mixed 100% oak with any other 100% flavor wood. Sorry I almost got off track lol. I would like to try the pecan in pellet form. I've used pecan in my Bradley and liked it a lot.

Where do you get your 100% pellets?

KyNola

Be careful with those 100% flavor wood pellets, particularly if you are using a MAK. The 100% flavor wood pellets, particularly hickory will leave way more ash in the firepot. The MAK fan ramps up and down to control the temp while other pellet burner fans run 100% wide open the entire time. With the MAK fan ramping down it may not blow the ash out of the firepot efficeiently enough to allow the MAK to breathe like it needs to. They can also cause the auger to labor.

I am speaking from experience with 100% hickory pellets in a MAK and several conversations with Bob about it. I burned well over 200 lbs of them before I finally was totally convinced they were not good for a MAK. Should have listened to Bob from the get-go.

omahajs

I am speaking from experience with 100% hickory pellets in a MAK and several conversations with Bob about it. I burned well over 200 lbs of them before I finally was totally convinced they were not good for a MAK. Should have listened to Bob from the get-go.

KyNola - so do you just use BBQD Pellets since they are 70% Oak? Thanks.

KyNola

KyNola - so do you just use BBQD Pellets since they are 70% Oak? Thanks.
Yes. Don't know how or why but the BBQD pellets burn like a charm in my MAK. I burn the hickory BBQD pellets as they are oak and hickory combined. Great smoke and high temp burning pellets. Cooking Pellets Perfect Mix will also work well in the MAK.

I recently bought BD in bulk from BP so I was able to order a whole bunch of flavors. Not sure I can tell the difference between all of them, but I love the oak for most things. I also like the cherry on poultry, wine soaked oak on beef, and hickory on long ccoks. I can't wait to try the pecan and maple.

Smokinman88

Apple and Maple are my two favorites, Bear Mountain also makes a 100% Alder version which I really like for smoking salmon and even cheese.

Top Bottom