Big Poppa's Brisket tips

Smokinman88

Brisket has been my area of trouble since I started doing them, they always come out "just Ok" not bad but not great either. I look forward to trying BP's shared techniques and see if that helps.

HogSmoker

Yaw thanks BP for brisket the tips ! BP is the E F Hutton on BQ when he talks everybody listens :) or at least they should. Glad that folks share their ideals and results on here its like a smorgasbord of info...

regency

Now where was this thread Saturday night/Sunday morning when I needed it. Thanks BP. Only one question, how do you do your probe in the foil? I tried to wrap mine tight but had trouble with the cable for the probe.

Big Poppa

Administrator
you foil it up and then poke the probe into the foil I like to figure out exactly what the distance to the center is....I probe where I m slicing for turn ins

Scallywag

Going to attempt my first brisket this weekend... been putting it off ( kinda scared ) but hey gotta try! I will keep the pizza delivery # close by if all goes bad!

Big Poppa

Administrator
...Brisket temps are not an absolute when it is done. The temp is different from grade to variety of beef. ALso low and slow and hot and fast produce different internatl temp when it is done. LNS is usually a lower internal temp than hot and fast. With choice and even prime there is a "butter feel that can come between 195 and about 203..d..with the Strube Wagyu I cook you never really get that butter feel and I find that the magic temp is between 203-208....it is crazy how all of these things are different.

One of the most important thing is how you handle it after it comes off the cooker....I vent for 5 minutes and re foil super tight....I try at all costs to avoid using a cambro...I use towels, light blankets, and even a bps sweatshirt at the royal where I tied for second at the invitational...OK I know I finished third Damn card offs......

Lastly for comp and serving try to keep that thing as warm as you can to the plate or box.

DerrikMo

World's best brisket

Texas is the home of the brisket. Here is a series of videos from arguably the best brisket smoker in Texas if not the USA. Much less trimming, much less and plainer rub. Let the meat and the smoke do their magic. I have been doing briskets like this for years and it never fails to produce a tender, smokey, amazing piece of meat.

Here is an article about him in, of all places, bon appetit magazine

A day in the life of Austin restaurant Franklin Barbecue's Aaron Franklin, a BBQ genius: In the Magazine: bonappetit.com

Here is the link to his videos

BBQ with Franklin - YouTube

Watch the videos in reverse order, starting from the bottom. You can skip the 3 "Thanksgiving" videos.

Thanks

Big Poppa

Administrator
I love texas brisket....Im just showing you how I do it.....I am so happy that there are more than one way to cook a brisket. Mine is admittedly more of a comp primer.

Top Bottom