Bloody Mary's for kick-off!!!

Stone

Taking SoCal and Deb's advice I went for some smoked juice for my NFL opening day Bloody Mary's. Thanks for the idea, simply awesome.

For smoking, I mixed the juice and seasonings in a pitcher, then poured the mix into a shallow baking dish (8x8). I placed 10 or so ice cubes in a vacuum sealed bag and placed in the mix to keep it cool throughout the process. I placed this in the side drawer of the MAK 2 star, and smoked for 60 minutes. I pulled the ice out after 40 minutes and let the mix go like that for the last 20 minutes to increase the surface area exposed to the smoke. Then poured the mix back into the original bottles (washed them first) and refrigerated overnight. It worked great. The bloody mary mix had a nice balanced smokiness, clearly present but not overpowering. Yum.

Here's my recipe and associated photos. I have spent countless hours working on various bloody mary concoctions with varying degrees of success. Had some pretty good ones. Then I had a great cocktail at a local restaurant and asked the bar tender to walk me through it. It was simple and so tasty that I converted to the recipe below.

Makes 2 drinks, (so you may want to at least double if not quadruple this...)

1 pint (16oz) of Clamato
1 lemon
1 oz Demitri's bloody mary seasoning
1 tsp Worcestershire or A1
1/2 tsp sugar
Vodka of your choice
garnish (pickled beans, asparagus, olives, lemon slice)

1. Mix clamato, demitri's, worcestershire, and sugar together. Smoke as described above for 60 minutes. (the night before if possible). Pour mix back into original juice bottle and refrigerate.
2. Gather your ingredients and put together the garnishes; and fill two glasses with ice.
3. muddle two slices of lemon in the bottom of a drink shaker
4. add ~5 cubes of ice
5. add 4oz vodka
6. top with ~16oz (1 pint) of your prepared bloody mary mix
7. put the top on the drink shaker and roll your drink gently to mix (if you shake tomato juice it will get foamy, yes - learned from experience)
8. pour into two ice filled pilsner or pint glasses, add garnish and enjoy.

Cheers!

Here's the initial smoke with the ice in the mix...
View attachment 1653

Final 15 minutes of smoke...
View attachment 1654

Then back in the bottle (I doubled the recipe above)...
View attachment 1655

Gathering all the fixin's...
View attachment 1651

Cheers!!!
View attachment 1652

sparky

i do love a morning cocktail. the view is to die for. everyday you have that? lucky. really nice patio partner.

Top Bottom