Boneless pork roast

JimmyDings

Ok people's, I need some help......I have a 6.5 lb boneless pork roast that I was going to cook on my 2 star Sunday. With the events unfolding as they have, I am going to have to cook it on my gas grill. I plan on getting smoke using smoker boxes as I have in the past.....that's not my concern

The roast was approx 20" long and was cut in half, put on top of each other and tied together.

Is there a difference between meat seasoning like "cajun shake" and meat rub?

Also I want to try injection to see the flavor difference.....
I have:
cajun injector marinades in:
Creole butter
Creole garlic
Cajun hot n spicy
Lemon butter garlic
Hickory BBQ

The wife does not like hot or spicy so I ruled out the Cajun hot n spicy, but what might be a good marinade to inject for a boneless pork roast? That would go well with that that type of meat?

I do understand preferences and taste have a lot to do with it, we enjoy hickory flavors as well as garlic, but again I am not sure if some of these would not go well with this meat.

Additionally, should I inject both sides of the roast, the entire length? Or just certain areas?

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Ty in advance, Jim aka JimmyDings

TentHunter

Hey Jimmy, If you post stuff like this in the lounge section you'll get quicker & more responses. Maybe Carter or one of the other mods can move this into that section.

First, since it's going on the grill, I think I'd rather untie them and cook them as two pieces for more surface area & smoke penetration.

The difference between a shake and a rub is... well who really knows? They're both seasonings that get applied to your meat before you cook it. Some folks swear that rubbing in a rub blocks the pores from accepting smoke. I don't buy it, so I say shake it on or rub it in whichever you prefer.

As far as injecting marinades, how much to inject, which areas of the meat, etc. If your injecting for the purpose of adding flavor (not to cure meat such as ham) then it's really purely a matter of preference. Why not untie the two pieces and inject one or both and if your wife doesn't like the hot & spicy keep one mild and make the other the way you want.

As far as hickory & garlic: IMO hickory is a great smoke flavor for anything pork. Garlic? Well it depends on what kind of flavor you want and if you want it as part of your overall flavor profile.

I guess the best advice is to pick up a notebook and just get grilling/smoking. As you experiment with spice & smoke flavors, keep a log of what you did & used, what temps did you use, how did you and the family like it, etc.

Above all, enjoy the adventure!

JimmyDings

Amen! The notebook was this first item I secured even before securing the unit itself

Thanks a bunch for the advice
Jim

Meat Man

Jim, brining pork and chicken is a great way to add flavor and increase moistness. I know it's too late now, but we love to brine these. It's real easy to do too. Here's how I do it:

One clean 5 gallon bucket or you could use a trash bag
1 gallon water
3/4 lbs kosher salt
1/4 lbs sugar
We will usually soak over night for pork, 3 to 4 hours for chicken

You can also add herbs and spices to pump it up if you want. Then we will usually add our favorite rub to the outside before cooking. This works well for any style of cooking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom