Bought a MAK 2-Star!

Big_Jake

So I went for the MAK 2 star after reading forums,watching videos,and scouring the internet for information.I figured why not go for the "MAK daddy" of all pellet smokers?
I will post pics/vids when it arrives.

Oh and of course I bought it from Big Poppa. ;)

sparky

ya, welcome to the fam big jake. :) i always liked the food you cooked on your yoder. i believe you will love alot of the features that the 2 star has to offer. time to get elastic pants there buddy. lets see the pics when you get her. i'm happy for ya.

Big_Jake

Thanks Sparky!Oh and I have a few questions for ya.(If you don't mind). ;)

1.Do you foil your grease/heat deflector?
2.Is there a certain type of pellet,or brand of pellet you feel works better in the 2-star than others?

Thanks man. :cool:

sparky

Thanks Sparky!Oh and I have a few questions for ya.(If you don't mind). ;)

1.Do you foil your grease/heat deflector?
2.Is there a certain type of pellet,or brand of pellet you feel works better in the 2-star than others?

Thanks man. :cool:

1) H#!! no. its a bbq. not suppose to look pretty. suppose to look used.

morefood042.jpg

2) i burn bbq delight pellets. burns hot, very low ash, burns hot. i myself have tried all the flavors and combo of flavors. i really can't tell one from the other. so, now i just burn oak. i love the way it smells (its the only one i can smell and its very pleasantl) while burning and you can use it to cook anything (thanks to BP, chili and carter). to old to stress over which pellet to use depending on what meat i am cooking. forget that. oak, only oak. way easy for this old surfing hippie. :cool:

Mark718

I received mine friday evening. Have done 2 cooks, love it! The only thing I would say is I think I want the full flame zone cover. Other than that it's a great cooker. You made a great choice, you will realize it when you put it together, it's built like a tank.

Big_Jake

I received mine friday evening. Have done 2 cooks, love it! The only thing I would say is I think I want the full flame zone cover. Other than that it's a great cooker. You made a great choice, you will realize it when you put it together, it's built like a tank.

Does it not come with the full flame zone cover?I want as much smoking space as possible.

Mark718

It comes with 2 halves, more like 60/40. So in theory you can cover most of the flame zone and still have some of it avail. for searing. You can still cover the whole thing but it takes to covers.

Big_Jake

HHHMMM,well if I need two then I will get another one.Although I just got a return e-mail from BP and he said I am good to go.Man that guy returns e-mails quick!

Mark718

Sorry, didn't want to make you think you need anything more, you get everything you need. It comes with all the covers. It's hard to explain without you seeing it. Trust me, it all works great. instead of one lid to cover the flame zone you get 2. No biggie, I was just thinking I might want one cover.

Last edited:

Meat Man

Congrats, and welcome to the club. MAKs are the bomb. I usually use foil, when smoking, but our grill is a older one and dosen't have the new insert pan like yours. Most of my grilling is done using a reverse sear method, so I really don't use the flame zone very much. Foil makes cleaning your grill a lot easier to do. I don't change the foil every time I use it, just when it gets a lot of build up on it. They should just send a couple of bags BBQ'rs Delight pellets out with every grill, so far in my opinion they have been the best, most consistent pellet I've used. Not to mention they have the widest selection of hardwood based pellets out there. Their pellets are all unique and add very different flavors to your meats. My current fav is Pecan, Apple, Cherry, Peach. I also do a lot of pellet blending.

Big_Jake

Cool thanks guys.I too use bbq'rs delight.(Apple and Oak),mixed with cookinpellets perfect mix.But that was the blend I liked in my old smoker.I will experiment with the new one and see what I like best. :D

jimsbarbecue

You will enjoy your new MAK. I have used a lot of pellet brands in the MAK and now it is BBQ Delight almost 100% usually just Oak.
The MAK will grow on you. It can do so much. After having ours for years. We have #68 and 186. Adding the full size flame zone just added another tool for cooking on the MAK. It is the bomb for chicken.

TentHunter

Congrats Big Jake. I know how much I have loved our MAK 1 Star and the 2 Star has even more features. I'm sure you're gonna love it!

Top Bottom