Breaking in MAK 1 star #137

Red

Just another way Big Poppa shows he appreciates the effort and time the BPS team puts into competitions. As the 2011 competition year is coming to an end BP hooked me up with a new 1 star with all the options. Thanks Big Poppa!

I was literally still assembling the MAK as I was burning it in. The 1 star has to be the easiest grill to set up. Attach the wheels (5 minutes if you are slow), attach the handle (2 minutes if you have had a couple of beers prior), and if you ordered the optional side shelf attach that (5 minutes if the grill is already at 350 degrees like mine was...). You don't even need your own tools as everything you need is included.

It was a simple cook as my wife and kid are out of town this week:(

Pig candy (standard break in food for me)
Tri Tip Kabobs with sweet onion, cherry tomatoes, and bell pepper
Asparagus

Pig candy doesn't even last long when I am the only one eating it... Seasoned with traditional brown sugar and cayenne pepper.

Kabobs - felt like using the firewire kabob cables and tri tip sounded good. Seasoned the meat with a little olive oil, some little louies with black pepper and some BP double secret.

Asparagus - not one of BP's favorites but I love it. I like it grilled al den ta with some olive oil, desert gold, and lemon juice.

Here are some photos of the meal. Sorry no pig candy pictures they disappeared quickly, had to toss a couple to my K9 companions...

sparky

I was literally still assembling the MAK as I was burning it in. The 1 star has to be the easiest grill to set up. Attach the wheels (5 minutes if you are slow), attach the handle (2 minutes if you have had a couple of beers prior), and if you ordered the optional side shelf attach that (5 minutes if the grill is already at 350 degrees like mine was...).

It was a simple cook as my wife and kid are out of town this week:(

you sure it only took you 2 minutes for the handle? was the lid hot when you put the handle on? lol. only a couple beers. ya right. and you did this w/ out your wife's supervision. bad news buddy. she would have told ya to put it together before you fired it up. lol....;) oh, congrats on your new mak my friend. :cool:

sparky

Nice start! Keep it up and enter a few contests here.

NO. jody is a competition cook for the big poppa smokers team. he knows more about bbq than most of us here. and i am happy to say a friend of mine. a really nice guy that is full of bbq knowledge. :cool:

Rip

Haha, you beat me to it Sparky! I was thinking the same thing about Jody entering our little competition. Would love to see what you cook though Red!

sparky

Haha, you beat me to it Sparky! Would love to see what you cook though Red!

me too. i have eaten your food a couple of times and it was always fantastic. love to see your post. just not the weekly contest. lol. ;)

Carter13

Congrats on your Mak 1. I am a couple months out on a purchase of a Mak 1 and am so stoked to upgrade from my baby pellet grill.
You can't beat a grill made here in the great NW from people that love what they do. PERIOD.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey Bob and Kerrie at MAK gave you the accessories as a thanks for being one of the top chicken teams in the country!

TentHunter

Great first cook. Congrats on the new MAK! :)

FireWire skewers rock! I think they're extremely underrated and underused. In fact they were the first things I ever ordered from BPS. Big Poppa's YouTube video of them is what attracted me to the site in the first place.

Red

Thanks guys I am loving having a MAK at home. I think I will be cooking on it every night for quite some time. Having the versatility of a skillet, searing grate, and all the options of a regular MAK I think I can cook for quite some time without cooking the same thing twice... Maybe I will do a thread "cooking on a MAK for a week" and I will post everything I cook over the course of a week. Show off the wicked versatility of the MAK's (not that everyone here hasn't already seen that...).

We have a few more weekends before our next comp so I just might throw down in a weekly competition or two.

Spark - The handle was pretty quick. If it wasn't the beer slowing me down it was the fact that the grill was billowing smoke while I was trying to see where the holes were for the handle. In hind sight maybe I could have assembled the grill and then plugged it in, but I had priorities man!

BP - I will thank Bob and Kerrie for the accessories, I had know idea that they threw those in for me. Awesome!

Firewire skewers are amazing. Every once in a while I notice them at the bottom of my BBQ drawer and then head out for shrimp or something else to cook up on them. No more soaking bamboo skewers or burnt fingers. They couldn't make kabobs much easier.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Other forums and people tend to call this place the MAK forum...Thats ok...WHen someone gets a MAK and then gets that this comapny is always innovating, improving and finding other cooking applications...its hard to not love them and get cult like.....The commitment to quality USA, service, and innovation is why I love this company and its products so much.

Top Bottom