Brine red meats?

Canyonier

I brine chicken, turkey, and fish before cooking in the pellet grill.
But what about red meat? Do you folks brine steaks, chops, and such? I hadn't even thought of doing that until I was recently asked.
Glenn

scooter

I don't think steaks need brining but you certainly can brine chops if you think it's necessary. Some people do, some don't. I don't.

TrickyDick

I prefer to brine pork chops (and I have a great recipe too somewhere....). I think that pork chops are often too lean, and can be easy to overcook. I like to brine them because to me, it enhances the moisture content, and can bring along some additional flavors to the party. The additional moisture seems to help in keeping them juicy after cooking, and to me seems like it may make them more tender, though I cannot justify a tenderizing effect with any science. Could be psychological.

chaz345

Great point, Chaz! I hadn't even thought about the fact that corned beef, hams, etc. are in fact brined red meats.
I don't really consider pork to be a red meat but that's just my opinion. I wonder if there's much functional or definitional difference between a brine and a cure. I do know that there are some meats, usually Italian in origin like capicola and salami that are cured and never cooked before eating but on the other hand we have bacon and ham that are cured and must be cooked.

chaz345

The additional moisture seems to help in keeping them juicy after cooking, and to me seems like it may make them more tender, though I cannot justify a tenderizing effect with any science. Could be psychological.

Something that's moist is going to be perceived as more tender than something that is equally tender but dry.

Top Bottom